Patient Comments: Shingles - Experience

Please describe your experience with shingles.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Tea tree lotion provided relief from itch and pain from shingles.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

The worst pain I ever had since childbirth; or maybe worse. My doctor now says it is eczema, but I still think I get shingles outbreaks. I am on gabapentin. The skin on my back burns. I go to the emergency room, and they just give me mupirocin, and antibiotic Cleocin. Each outbreak lasts about a month. I am so frustrated.

Comment from: 40yrMale, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My experience with shingles: Three weeks ago I awoke with the right side of my face tingling and throbbing pain in my teeth. I visited the dentist who performed a root canal that day. I awoke to significant pain on the right side of my face the following day. I had fever blisters inside my mouth and running up into the right ear canal. I was given famciclovir, which may or may not have helped clear the blisters. I am experiencing numbness on the tip of my tongue and constant itching and burning on my cheek. Oxycodone has helped with the pain but takes a toll on the digestive system.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 13

After a month of low back pain, I was diagnosed with shingles. I am now an antiviral medication and Advil for pain. I have been under a large amount of stress (holidays, mom having a heart attack, work etc.). The best thing is to get treated soon.

Comment from: girlfriend5520, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I first had an ear ache in my ear canal. I was treated but then a day later developed a spot on my tongue. I went to the doctor and was put on another antibiotic. Then I had this numb feeling on my head. I went to the E.R. with a rash on my neck. I was told I had shingles. Two days later the pain and burning was so intense only on my head, and only on the right side of my head. My ear had spots inside and out. My face had a few as well. My head was so bad I was sobbing in pain. I went again to the doctor and was given antiviral medications and Percocet which was the miracle pain medication for me. It took approximately 6 weeks and I am now pain free and rash free.

Comment from: lori1234, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This has been going on for about 15 years. I'm 52 now, however the more frequent the bouts and the more painful. It usually starts by a huge sweaty night of sleep and chills the next day, just as if to get a cold sore the body in whole is achy and tired, I could fall asleep standing in the mid of this. The face nose ear and my neck swells on one side always the same symptoms, it seems but I have been keeping log this one I'm entering now has already taken a week and my mid back is numb small blisters under breast none yet in my ear or nose but left eye and teeth hurt when I blink, eyes water, I have 4 blister type bumps on my chin and jaw and my feet and legs starting to hurt, oh I left the feeling of fire on my whole body. The neck pain has only been the last 2 times but lately at least 2or 3 weeks rest and 6 of pain. My doctor wants to take me from pain meds, are you kidding me I'm in search of new doctor, no one sees anyone new here is a small town. I am so stuck you can't imagine. I am getting rheumatoid arthritis and have had osteoarthritis for a long time, I remember at age of 19 I used to before my cycle have this same thing but my doctor told me is chicken pox. Well off to be and so far until I can find a real doctor I am on Norco 10/325. I dose myself about 2 pills about 4 to 6 hours. Then when not in this much pain I take 1 6 to 8 hours. Good luck and I hope all is well.

Comment from: reb in the desert, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I was forty when I was experiencing what I thought was an ear infection, along with severe headache for days or a week or so. I also broke out with what appeared to be a small bout of acne, but the usual treatment of cleansing the area was painful. I finally went to urgent care when I couldn't bear the pain, and was diagnosed with shingles. I was given the antibiotics for that and it cleared up. since then I've researched symptoms and causes that can bring on the episodes, and found that stress,( in my relationship) the heat in the desert and not getting the rest and healthy diet to keep my immune system strong was my triggers. I've since learned to recognize the onset of a breakout early on and can address the issue sooner, thus avoiding advance of the breakout with better care of myself and distressing myself. Coincidently, I haven't had a breakout since my (of ten years) and I split. Also my episodes were either during the holidays, or heat of summer in palm springs,(trying to keep my gardens alive).

Shingles - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your shingles?
Shingles - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your shingles?
Shingles - Vaccine Question: Please describe your experience with the shingles vaccine.
Shingles - Contagious Question: Please describe your experience with shingle contagious period.
Shingles - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with shingles.
Shingles - Complications Question: Please discuss your experience with complications that arise from shingles?
Shingles - Causes Question: What caused your shingles?