Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Causes

What was the cause of your shin splints?

Comment from: Dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been running for about 8 years. Typically I will run a couple of miles as a warm up for my weight training at least 4 days during the week. On weekends I typically will kick that up to 4 to 6 miles per day so I'm probably running a total of 16 to 20 miles per week on average. Well, about 3 weeks ago I kicked it up another notch and ran 7 miles on Sat, then 8 miles on Sunday. Bad mistake, I got shin splints on my left side. Now nothing seems to help get rid of them. I even took 4 days off from running and it didn't help a bit. I can struggle through the first half mile or so then they seem to feel okay until the next day. But that first half mile is severe pain. One of my co-workers told me to get new shoes which I plan on trying this weekend. But, it really sucks having these. It's hard enough to talk yourself into working out 6 days a week, this just makes it harder.

Comment from: Sara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I recently developed shin splints, mostly in my left leg. My guess as to the cause is that I just started soccer camp. I'm really out of shape, and we've been doing very intense workouts. It's progressed to the point where walking up stairs is virtually impossible because of the pain. However, my mom won't let me stop playing because she insists it will go away by itself. I'm hoping the pain will go away soon, but it seems to be increasing.

Comment from: Cassie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was running 15 minutes during track. I took a five-minute break, then started running again for another 10 minutes. This put a lot of pressure on my ankles. I didn't think that I had shin splits because nothing was hurting. After a few hours, I got a throbbing pain in my knee, ankle and foot. It moved throughout my leg and down to my knee. It hurt and throbbed with every step I took. My track teacher made me run anyway after I asked to sit out for the day. She told me that sitting out wouldn't make a difference for the pain and suggested I use ice. After researching, I feel my coach shouldn't have made me run.

Comment from: jakedoggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My first outbreak of shin splints was due to wearing high heels and walking a long distance. I had never had them before but it was very painful. That was in 1985. Since that time, I have suffered with shin splints with just a normal walk in good athletic shoes. It lasts for days and is very painful. I didn't have these problems or symptoms when I was younger and now I don't seem to be able to avoid them. It aches so badly, it feels like my shins should be swollen twice their normal size.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with shin splints in September of last year. I was on the school's cross country team (not my first year of running distance). The coach was ready for us to step it up and increase our workouts; apparently, my body wasn't. At first, the pain was very mild and mostly in my knees and ankles. The previous year I was diagnosed with patella femoral pain syndrome and boy that was not fun at all. I figured the pains were just from that and because it was indeed just the beginning of the season. I. Was. WRONG! My doctor told me to take off 2 weeks, but turns out, I missed about 4. Major practices, mid-season, pre-state meets. It was horrible. I was terribly disappointed because shin splints caused me to miss the state meet. My shins eventually got better, but the tenderness remains. Track is starting in just a few months and hopefully, the splints will not return.

Comment from: beheloka, 55-64 Male Published: May 13

When I walk, I have pain in my left shin below the knee. Usually my walk is 20 -25 minutes. I increased my walk to one hour and did well the first few times. Then I started getting severe pain and had to stop and rest. When I stop walking, the pain fades very quickly. What's happening?

Comment from: dee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I just recently got into running, and for the past few weeks I've been running for one minute with a two minute rest in between to work myself up to run further. Earlier this week I changed it to running a minute and a half, and when I went to do my second work out of the week I noticed intense pains in my shins but I tried to run through it. Now the next day it hurts even when I'm not walking and so I think I may have shin splints. No running until I can walk without pain.

Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?