Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Causes

What was the cause of your shin splints?

Comment from: fezza07, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I ran a lot on concrete at school, which was fine. We used to play touch, and even Rugby League on concrete. At school, I was very athletic and never ever had shin splints. I left school about 3 years ago, and since I have done nothing but eat lots of food and drink a lot of beer. I do a lot of resistance training and am benching 130 kgs at the moment so I'm not an entire slouch lol. I have picked Rugby up again this year after many years of not running. I have since gained about 20 kilos since school, and getting used to running again is what my shin splints is about, as well as getting used to running with this upper body frame I've built. Anyone else had this experience? I'm icing regularly and they feel better by the day. Just don't get frustrated and try to run it out after a couple of days, you need weeks of rest. I've had Shin Splints for about a month now because of trying to run the problem out at training. Believe you me, it doesn't work. Ice up, rest up, stretch, and you'll be as good as gold.

Comment from: eve, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have had shin splints for the past 6 months and I find when the place is cold and damp it bothers me more. It is so painful. I am not into any kind of sports and am really puzzled as to how I developed this. I have tried stretching and ice with anti-inflammatory pills but still have the pain. I don't think it ever really goes away.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently started having shin splints about a week ago, after our track coaches started to increase our pratice regimen. At first I assumed it was a pulled muscle, and wow--was I wrong. I then did some research after being diagnosed with the shin splint and found the cause of mine was indeed our track practice. After going from never running long distances we would run FIVE MILES A DAY. I understand that may not be very long, but keep in mind this is our first practice of the JV team.

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have just been diagianosed with shin splints. My left ankle is very sensitive to touch especially after I have worked a 9 hour shift in a canteen. I play tennis but it does not affect my game. Ibuprofen and voltaren gel seem to be the only thing to help ease the pain. What annoys me is that the pain can wake me up in the middle of the night sometimes. I got shine splints after taking up walking 6 months later.

Comment from: Raz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I've had on/off shin splints since my mid teens (I am now 40). What I have found to work for me, is to apply pressure using my thumbs (to the threshold where it is difficult to take the pain) to the affected area when painful. Additionally, a sports masseuse once manipulated my tendon where it is attached under the ankle bone - much like you would a string on a guitar 5-10 times. Feels like you're being electrocuted, painful, but definitely makes it better.

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have started to play 5 A-Side soccer twice per week to help with weight loss. I am very fat, approximately 20 stone. My shins kill me after the 60 minutes. If I play again 3-4 days later half way through the game the pain is unbearable, especially if at any time during the game the shins get a kick or a ball hits them. Ibuprofen works short term post match and Deep heat cream is pointless (not to mention smelly). I love swimming but it doesn't make me lose weight or feel 'worked out' like footie does. Facts are I need to lose weight (working on it) and I love playing footie. Shins are not helping me out. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: January 19

I began actively training and playing tennis after a four-month layoff – that's what caused my shin splints.

Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?