Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Causes

What was the cause of your shin splints?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with shin splints in September of last year. I was on the school's cross country team (not my first year of running distance). The coach was ready for us to step it up and increase our workouts; apparently, my body wasn't. At first, the pain was very mild and mostly in my knees and ankles. The previous year I was diagnosed with patella femoral pain syndrome and boy that was not fun at all. I figured the pains were just from that and because it was indeed just the beginning of the season. I. Was. WRONG! My doctor told me to take off 2 weeks, but turns out, I missed about 4. Major practices, mid-season, pre-state meets. It was horrible. I was terribly disappointed because shin splints caused me to miss the state meet. My shins eventually got better, but the tenderness remains. Track is starting in just a few months and hopefully, the splints will not return.

Comment from: dee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I just recently got into running, and for the past few weeks I've been running for one minute with a two minute rest in between to work myself up to run further. Earlier this week I changed it to running a minute and a half, and when I went to do my second work out of the week I noticed intense pains in my shins but I tried to run through it. Now the next day it hurts even when I'm not walking and so I think I may have shin splints. No running until I can walk without pain.

Comment from: overweight woman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am overweight and just started a walking program with a friend. The distance we walk and the hard surfaces led to shin splints. They are not severe and I hope to work through them.

Comment from: Barry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I've had leg cramps for many years, off and on, mostly when I lie down. They are definitely associated with being on my feet for more than two hours a day. I used to work for UPS and bowl five nights a week, and before that was a runner. I am wondering if the cause of my cramps might be shin splints.

Comment from: patience, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been running up and down hills (6 -8 miles) and I think the running downhill has caused it. Having a heel piece in my right shoe didn't help any, because it keeps the foot from bending the way it should. I was wearing the heel piece to help keep my back in place, not knowing that my back was already in place and that I didn't need it at that time. My back tends to go in and out. Can't wait till this goes away!

Comment from: Kasey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had stress fractures in the Air Force and I have only been able to make them better since I've been out. ICE THEM! Baby them, or they will not heal.

Comment from: Troy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I jog on hard surfaces which are really uneven at times. Four weeks later I started aerobics and I lost weight rapidly. Then three or four weeks later, a dull pulsing racing pain below my left knee and just to the center of my shin, woke me from a deep sleep. I use a biofreeze pain relieving gel that gave grateful relief, but later in the day the pain returned and kept getting more painful. Today is the third day since I started feeling the pain. Walking on my toes helps a whole lot.

Comment from: Cody, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Broke/sprained badly my ankle in football season, then once my bone healed I got tendinitis in my ankle, then track started up and I got shin splints during track season from over running. A pretty awful year for me. It took about 6-7 months to be 100% again.

Comment from: Remi , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I got shin splints above my ankle on my left foot, after running 1070 kms from Melbourne to Adelaide; tomorrow I will do an injection of the tibias tendon with a local anesthetic and steroid. I hope it will work, I need to go back on my run as soon as possible, I have still 4200 kms to run. Hopefully it's just a shin splints and not a stress fracture.

Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?