Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: pushedtoohard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Never underestimate your shin splints. In high school my track coach had the 'run through it' attitude. I ended up with shin splints that destroyed my track career. After graduation it took more than a year of doing no activity at all before I was able to run 15 feet without pain. It was a horribly painful and emotional experience. If you have shin splints do not allow your parents or your coaches to push you through the pain because shin splints do not get better without rest.

Comment from: CalifNurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Twelve days ago I attended my niece's graduation, there was no parking so I parked about 1.5 miles from the event and had to almost run so I would not miss it. I ran in a nurse uniform and wedge nurse heels/shoes. I was fine until the next morning when my left front shin felt like it would never be the same. It has not resolved at all, I either limp or drag the foot. I notice when I rest it, it feels much better, or wear sandals with heel it feels less painful. I will try ibuprofen. It feels like a blood clot or shin splints. If it does not start to get better I'll ask the foot and ankle surgeon I work for to help. (Typical nurse patient, I will heal myself!)

Comment from: queenb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I get shin splints when I wear inappropriate footwear while walking (am dragged by) a dog on an outing. This time I found that after getting them I did the sun salute yoga exercise as a warm up, which helped with muscle alignment and lessened pain in the area.

Comment from: JenninDC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have started the C25K (Couch to 5 KM) program and am on week 2. I've had shin splints every time I run. Going, quite literally, from the couch to running has been a challenge, especially with this pain. I am not giving up though. I ice the shins for 20 min post workout, then again before bed and take Aleve. I always give myself a day of rest. I need new sneakers but can't afford them right - no more excuses so a "run through it with a post-run routine' is my answer.

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been having problems with shin splints for the last 6 months. Stopped any exercise apart from bicycling and swimming for about 6 weeks, and strengthening exercise set by my physiotherapist. Started trying to run small distances again and the pain was worse than it had been before, rested again for a number of weeks while I went through more strengthening exercises, different physiotherapist. Tried to start running again and it was better but still was getting pain. I am about to go and get X-rays and ultrasounds done with possibility of injection into the site. I am hoping that this might finally be of some help.

Comment from: Miss Frustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I used to run cross-country competitively but stopped because of a sprained ankle. I started running again in preparation for army-officer fitness tests with no problem, but then I did a team race in my army issue boots, and I had to stop because of excruciating shin splints. I was told by a fellow officer cadet that she cured her shin splints by running through it: Do not try this! Thanks to her sage advice, I spent all of Christmas having to sit out on all physical activities with excruciating pain even when walking. Now I have the best trainers available on the market, orthotics for all footwear, and new shoes, all of which have some sort of heel, which has helped immensely. I personally haven't found the leg stretches have helped. I'm back to training now, but the pain has returned. I think it's because of overexertion last night. It's so frustrating!

Comment from: Jacko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

Six months ago, I had to have a total right knee replacement. Since then, I have been unable to do a great deal of exercise. Having now returned to work, I am walking about six to eight miles a day. I have now developed shin splints in my right leg, which at times, can be very painful. I'm taking ibuprofen three times a day with paracetamol, and I apply ice on the shin for 20 minutes before work. This has already started to ease the pain.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?