Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Nathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a moderate triathlete now in marathon mode training. I'm now experiencing my second occurrence of shin splints, the first time round I experienced mild pain during a 5 km time trial. I still went for a long 22 km run the next day, but realized it wouldn't get better without rest. After two days off and a session on the bike the next day, it was much better. However doing some extreme ankle stretches to improve flexibility for swimming seemed to aggravate it again particularly in the ankle area. Thankfully after another 2 days off, I fully recovered and did a personal best at an Olympic triathlon and was all good for a couple of months. If I had to describe the pain I experienced it was a bit like having DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) wrapped really close to bone on the front of the shin and a bit on the ankles. It wasn't too bad, but avoiding pain makes sense for it to heal. On my second occurrence I've tended to run through it a bit for a week now. All the advice seems to be you need rest for it to heel, so I'm finally doing that. Overall it's a bit worse in that I can feel it a bit walking now, but it's not that bad yet, I'll see how I go with rest and cross training the next week.

Comment from: pushedtoohard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Never underestimate your shin splints. In high school my track coach had the 'run through it' attitude. I ended up with shin splints that destroyed my track career. After graduation it took more than a year of doing no activity at all before I was able to run 15 feet without pain. It was a horribly painful and emotional experience. If you have shin splints do not allow your parents or your coaches to push you through the pain because shin splints do not get better without rest.

Comment from: CalifNurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Twelve days ago I attended my niece's graduation, there was no parking so I parked about 1.5 miles from the event and had to almost run so I would not miss it. I ran in a nurse uniform and wedge nurse heels/shoes. I was fine until the next morning when my left front shin felt like it would never be the same. It has not resolved at all, I either limp or drag the foot. I notice when I rest it, it feels much better, or wear sandals with heel it feels less painful. I will try ibuprofen. It feels like a blood clot or shin splints. If it does not start to get better I'll ask the foot and ankle surgeon I work for to help. (Typical nurse patient, I will heal myself!)

Comment from: queenb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I get shin splints when I wear inappropriate footwear while walking (am dragged by) a dog on an outing. This time I found that after getting them I did the sun salute yoga exercise as a warm up, which helped with muscle alignment and lessened pain in the area.

Comment from: JenninDC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have started the C25K (Couch to 5 KM) program and am on week 2. I've had shin splints every time I run. Going, quite literally, from the couch to running has been a challenge, especially with this pain. I am not giving up though. I ice the shins for 20 min post workout, then again before bed and take Aleve. I always give myself a day of rest. I need new sneakers but can't afford them right - no more excuses so a "run through it with a post-run routine' is my answer.

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been having problems with shin splints for the last 6 months. Stopped any exercise apart from bicycling and swimming for about 6 weeks, and strengthening exercise set by my physiotherapist. Started trying to run small distances again and the pain was worse than it had been before, rested again for a number of weeks while I went through more strengthening exercises, different physiotherapist. Tried to start running again and it was better but still was getting pain. I am about to go and get X-rays and ultrasounds done with possibility of injection into the site. I am hoping that this might finally be of some help.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?