Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: JenninDC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have started the C25K (Couch to 5 KM) program and am on week 2. I've had shin splints every time I run. Going, quite literally, from the couch to running has been a challenge, especially with this pain. I am not giving up though. I ice the shins for 20 min post workout, then again before bed and take Aleve. I always give myself a day of rest. I need new sneakers but can't afford them right - no more excuses so a "run through it with a post-run routine' is my answer.

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been having problems with shin splints for the last 6 months. Stopped any exercise apart from bicycling and swimming for about 6 weeks, and strengthening exercise set by my physiotherapist. Started trying to run small distances again and the pain was worse than it had been before, rested again for a number of weeks while I went through more strengthening exercises, different physiotherapist. Tried to start running again and it was better but still was getting pain. I am about to go and get X-rays and ultrasounds done with possibility of injection into the site. I am hoping that this might finally be of some help.

Comment from: Miss Frustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I used to run cross-country competitively but stopped because of a sprained ankle. I started running again in preparation for army-officer fitness tests with no problem, but then I did a team race in my army issue boots, and I had to stop because of excruciating shin splints. I was told by a fellow officer cadet that she cured her shin splints by running through it: Do not try this! Thanks to her sage advice, I spent all of Christmas having to sit out on all physical activities with excruciating pain even when walking. Now I have the best trainers available on the market, orthotics for all footwear, and new shoes, all of which have some sort of heel, which has helped immensely. I personally haven't found the leg stretches have helped. I'm back to training now, but the pain has returned. I think it's because of overexertion last night. It's so frustrating!

Comment from: Jacko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

Six months ago, I had to have a total right knee replacement. Since then, I have been unable to do a great deal of exercise. Having now returned to work, I am walking about six to eight miles a day. I have now developed shin splints in my right leg, which at times, can be very painful. I'm taking ibuprofen three times a day with paracetamol, and I apply ice on the shin for 20 minutes before work. This has already started to ease the pain.

Comment from: Brad, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been affected by shin splints for about five days now, and they started because of intense soccer practice. I had not run much before soccer season, so I was out of shape. In addition, I forced too much pressure on my legs. My athletic trainer at school suggested icing right before and after practice or working out. Surprisingly, during my practices, I do not feel much pain when I wear shin guards in comparison to when I don't. I believe wrapping or adding support to your shins will drastically make a difference.

Comment from: Joseph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 59-year-old male and have been running off and on for many years. I joined a health club about six weeks ago and began to pursue running again in earnest. In the first two weeks, I did about 15 miles with no problem. In the second two weeks, I did about 20 miles with no problem. Then in these last two weeks, I developed severe shin splints. I tried to run through it, especially the first mile, and was somewhat successful. However, after mile three, the cramping developed, and I almost fell off the treadmill. I rested one full week and returned to running and had more severe pain than before. I tired ice and Aleve and generally feel OK before I start to run. This can be very frustrating. Guess I will try two weeks off and start slowly again ugh.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?