Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have recently kicked up my training and running in an effort to lose 20 lbs. I am overweight for my height although I am in good shape body wise; I need to shed some body fat. I have shin splints so bad I was almost brought to tears when I came home from the gym last night. I am supposed to take a spin class tonight; instead I think I will try the elliptical. I am now going to ice up my shins.

Comment from: Tom, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I play football 4 times a week on 4 different playing surfaces, recently by Sunday a heavy, dull pain is agonizing next to the shin bone and in the calf. I believe the causes are due to failure to warm the muscles before exercise and overuse and over stress of the lower leg muscles. The intense pain is an eye opener to warm up before exercise and to take time out if your body is telling you to do so. Good luck to anyone suffering from shin splints because it bloody hurts.

Comment from: Male Published: August 12

I had shin splints when I was participating in track and field as a pole vaulter. I was able to keep practicing and performing by taping my lower legs. I was taped up in a crisscross pattern from just below the knees to the ankles.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?