Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: hdsncnty, 25-34 Female Published: December 18

I recently started playing competitive basketball again after about 10 years. I knew I had them from the first two games, but then, I figured by the next week they'd be gone as long as I laid low. I was wrong. I had shin splints in full force after the next game. Just lying down, my puppy or my boyfriend rubbing against my shins was agony! The only thing that is helping is not playing at this point. It has been about a week and a half now since my last game, and my shins have finally stopped hurting to the touch.

Comment from: Lisa J., 35-44 Female Published: November 24

I have shin splints really bad in the left leg and some in the right leg. I got them about four years ago, and I get a blue knot on the front of my leg. Simple walking hurts really bad. I just started exercising to fight being overweight, and now, about the third day of running, I can feel them acting up. Stretching hasn't done anything.

Comment from: Ezie Breezie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am experiencing shin splints for the very first time. I started working out with a personal trainer and pushing my body to the max. One day, after running laps (in the wrong shoes), my shins were swollen and hurting very badly. I took some Ibuprofen, and they felt better until I went back to the gym the next day and ran more laps. When I got into my car to go home, I was in the worst pain imaginable. I had no idea this could hurt so badly. I don't want to stop my training, but I may have no other choice. I can't drive or get up the stairs. Daily activities have me sweating bullets and shivering in pain. I really hope this doesn't last a whole week; I will have a mental break down!

Comment from: hillpride, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have shin splints. I am 15-years-old and I started running two miles everyday after school and then practicing for soccer. Sometimes they hurt so bad I am running and crying at the same time. I am also a hockey player but my shins never bother me when I am skating. I think it's because it's a gliding motion and I am not putting intense pressure on my shins. I don't want to seem like a wuss to my coaches though so I am just working through it.

Published: July 22

My husband is in the police academy and so rest is not an option. We have found that ibuprofen, ice and resting whenever possible has been the best solution. He still has episodes in which it is painful, and it is difficult to walk. It is a very frustrating thing. Stretches and elevation seem to be helping the most.

Published: June 18

I used to be a team gymnast and had severe shin splints at times. I had very weak ankles and believe this may have contributed to the shin splints. Exercises at night lying down, legs up at a 90 degree angle to the body, then twirling toes and flexing pointed and piked helps tremendously. Also - I found that the bicycle was the worst possible exercise. It often made my shin splints much, much worse. As a gymnast, you use your back calf muscle much more than the front muscle. Our coach taught us to stretch the front muscle before workouts by standing, touching toes, then hands on floor flat, let legs go back, and pump your toes like a runner ready for a sprint. This helps!

Published: June 13

It has now been a week and 1 day since my shin splint occurred. It has gone through many phases (not so bad to very painful and now going back to not so bad). I cannot stop working out totally, so I have resorted to riding my bike instead of running. I have a feeling it will be well into next week before I will feel comfortable running on it again, considering that I have a lot of pain just walking still. Very frustrating. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen, which I think is helping some. However I am anxiously awaiting a full recovery. Good Luck to the other shin splint injuries.

Comment from: connectsouth, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 34 yrs old and actively run on a treadmill up to 2 miles a day. I decided to run thru the neighborhood this evening and not sure if because I was running on concrete but I am suffering from a shin splint in my right leg only. I have a friend that used to play ball in college and said when they would do two practices a day and they used to develop shin splints regularly from having to practice on a hard field when school would return for a period of about two weeks. He recommended lying down with my back to floor and legs elevated against wall if possible and Ice for quick relief.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?