Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: June 18

I used to be a team gymnast and had severe shin splints at times. I had very weak ankles and believe this may have contributed to the shin splints. Exercises at night lying down, legs up at a 90 degree angle to the body, then twirling toes and flexing pointed and piked helps tremendously. Also - I found that the bicycle was the worst possible exercise. It often made my shin splints much, much worse. As a gymnast, you use your back calf muscle much more than the front muscle. Our coach taught us to stretch the front muscle before workouts by standing, touching toes, then hands on floor flat, let legs go back, and pump your toes like a runner ready for a sprint. This helps!

Published: June 13

It has now been a week and 1 day since my shin splint occurred. It has gone through many phases (not so bad to very painful and now going back to not so bad). I cannot stop working out totally, so I have resorted to riding my bike instead of running. I have a feeling it will be well into next week before I will feel comfortable running on it again, considering that I have a lot of pain just walking still. Very frustrating. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen, which I think is helping some. However I am anxiously awaiting a full recovery. Good Luck to the other shin splint injuries.

Comment from: connectsouth, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 34 yrs old and actively run on a treadmill up to 2 miles a day. I decided to run thru the neighborhood this evening and not sure if because I was running on concrete but I am suffering from a shin splint in my right leg only. I have a friend that used to play ball in college and said when they would do two practices a day and they used to develop shin splints regularly from having to practice on a hard field when school would return for a period of about two weeks. He recommended lying down with my back to floor and legs elevated against wall if possible and Ice for quick relief.

Comment from: alystra2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've been dealing with shin splints (again) for two weeks, so far. The pain is in the lower inside of the left shin, radiating into the calf muscle.

Comment from: Twinky, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have shin splits and I'm only eleven! I think it's because someone jacked the soccer ball at my shin yesterday. It hurts, because I forgot to wear shin-guards. Always wear shin-gaurds!!!

Comment from: Dancer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I'm a dancer and I've recently gotten shin splints in both legs, but my left one is a lot worse. I think I probably got them cause I've been taking twice as many dance classes lately and started to point this year (requires lots of strong leg and ankle muscles) and I think I'm just over doing myself. I actually quit point because it was hurting too bad. My dance teachers told me that they used to get shin splints at my age too and they said tapping your toes up and down till it starts burning your muscles then stretching them out the other way helped them and it's been helping me. Also, wrapping my legs helped too.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have recently kicked up my training and running in an effort to lose 20 lbs. I am overweight for my height although I am in good shape body wise; I need to shed some body fat. I have shin splints so bad I was almost brought to tears when I came home from the gym last night. I am supposed to take a spin class tonight; instead I think I will try the elliptical. I am now going to ice up my shins.

Comment from: Tom, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I play football 4 times a week on 4 different playing surfaces, recently by Sunday a heavy, dull pain is agonizing next to the shin bone and in the calf. I believe the causes are due to failure to warm the muscles before exercise and overuse and over stress of the lower leg muscles. The intense pain is an eye opener to warm up before exercise and to take time out if your body is telling you to do so. Good luck to anyone suffering from shin splints because it bloody hurts.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?