Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Miss Frustrated, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I used to run cross-country competitively but stopped because of a sprained ankle. I started running again in preparation for army-officer fitness tests with no problem, but then I did a team race in my army issue boots, and I had to stop because of excruciating shin splints. I was told by a fellow officer cadet that she cured her shin splints by running through it: Do not try this! Thanks to her sage advice, I spent all of Christmas having to sit out on all physical activities with excruciating pain even when walking. Now I have the best trainers available on the market, orthotics for all footwear, and new shoes, all of which have some sort of heel, which has helped immensely. I personally haven't found the leg stretches have helped. I'm back to training now, but the pain has returned. I think it's because of overexertion last night. It's so frustrating!

Comment from: Jacko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

Six months ago, I had to have a total right knee replacement. Since then, I have been unable to do a great deal of exercise. Having now returned to work, I am walking about six to eight miles a day. I have now developed shin splints in my right leg, which at times, can be very painful. I'm taking ibuprofen three times a day with paracetamol, and I apply ice on the shin for 20 minutes before work. This has already started to ease the pain.

Comment from: Brad, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been affected by shin splints for about five days now, and they started because of intense soccer practice. I had not run much before soccer season, so I was out of shape. In addition, I forced too much pressure on my legs. My athletic trainer at school suggested icing right before and after practice or working out. Surprisingly, during my practices, I do not feel much pain when I wear shin guards in comparison to when I don't. I believe wrapping or adding support to your shins will drastically make a difference.

Comment from: Ms Vicky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I suffered shin splint inflammation in one leg, exacerbated by long walks on hard pavements wearing shoes with too much arch support so that my own high arches could not act as a spring softening my walk. Vitamin D 1000 mg/day, ibuprofen, and using the leg much less for an extended period of time helped, as well as stretching the front of the lower leg before walking by placing toes up against a step and leaning into foot. I am also NOT wearing the high support insteps and have had no more problems even after extended walks on hard pavements.

Comment from: Joseph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 59-year-old male and have been running off and on for many years. I joined a health club about six weeks ago and began to pursue running again in earnest. In the first two weeks, I did about 15 miles with no problem. In the second two weeks, I did about 20 miles with no problem. Then in these last two weeks, I developed severe shin splints. I tried to run through it, especially the first mile, and was somewhat successful. However, after mile three, the cramping developed, and I almost fell off the treadmill. I rested one full week and returned to running and had more severe pain than before. I tired ice and Aleve and generally feel OK before I start to run. This can be very frustrating. Guess I will try two weeks off and start slowly again ugh.

Comment from: Patrick, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 15 and developed shin splints from soccer after running more than two miles per day without rest then having practice. I had shin splints for three weeks, and after the first week, I became dizzy and lightheaded from the pain. It got to a point that I had trouble concentrating because of intense pain. I fell a few times, and felt like I would pass out. Finally the school nurse made me take an ice bath before and after practice. He also taught me several exercises to help strengthen my shins. My mom bought me better running shoes. Since I started icing and exercising, the pain has turned to a work-out kind of burn feeling.

Comment from: sandlwd, 35-44 Female Published: December 18

I can't win ... I started walking/jogging twice a day and after about a week, my left shin starting giving me problems again. I have not had them in years, and now to show up kills me. I suffered from extreme lower back pain for most of the year and that had finally eased up and I was back to working out. But now I have to ease up on that as well. I have heard of using an ACE bandage to help with the pain. I think I will try that.

Shin Splints - Causes Question: What was the cause of your shin splints?
Shin Splints - Effective Treatment Question: Are you prone to shin splints? If so, what treatment works well to relieve symptoms?