- Least Effective Exercises Slideshow
- Dehydration Tips Slideshow Pictures
- First Aid Sprains & Strains Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted
- Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Causes
- Patient Comments: Shin Splints - Effective Treatment
- Find a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
- Shin splints facts
- What are shin splints?
- What are risk factors for shin splints?
- What are shin splints symptoms?
- What causes shin splints?
- How are shin splints diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for shin splints?
- What is the multifaceted relative rest approach?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for shin splints?
- Can shin splints be prevented?
What is the prognosis (outlook) for shin splints?
The extent of injury that occurs prior to any rehabilitation program plays a significant role in determining the time frame necessary for complete recovery. Generally, the outlook is excellent for full recovery, but physical therapy treatment can be necessary.
Can shin splints be prevented?
To the extent that shin splints are an overuse injury, shin splints can be prevented by gradually increasing exercise activities. Proper footwear can also help to prevent shin splints.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Koopman, William, et al., eds. Clinical Primer of Rheumatology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
Ruddy, Shaun, et al., eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2001.