Patient Comments: Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Experience

What type of STD did you have?

Comment from: Concerned, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I developed symptoms of HPV within 6 weeks after I engaged in sex with a new partner and when I brought it to his attention that something was wrong, lesions developed around my vulvar, he said he no lesions so did not believe me. I visited my GP and asked him to remove them and to send them to the lab. Results came back as skin tags with vague papilloma, and I was told it was not HPV and that I shouldn't worry about it. Months later I visited a gyno because of the daily discomfort (itching, tingling, burning) and more lesions forming and bigger. The gyno removed a few lesions and sent them to the lab but told me that they looked like moles but confirmation of what it is will come from the lab. The next day he phoned me to tell me that I tested positive for HPV type 39 and suggested laser treatment. This was done but within a month I had new breakouts and he prescribed Wartec. The lesions went away but came back again and more medication was prescribed, being Aldara but even though I was using it as prescribed not all the lesions went away. I then consulted my gp again and he burnt them and to date no new breakouts but the discomfort is still experienced daily. It's almost 2 years since I contracted the virus and living with the discomfort daily is unpleasant. What I have to say to all you women out there, always go for a second opinion as me doing say may have just extended my life and ensure that the description on the biopsy request is specific because the first one done for me was 'skin' thus came back as skin tags and the second 'vulvar lesions' which came back as HPV 39. Ladies, be careful because from what I read there is no cure, that your body will get rid of it and that there are usualy no symptoms but I experienced symptoms (itching, sharp pains, burning)and the guy said he experienced nothing. There is no test for men currently from the research that I've done on HPV so please be careful. If you have daughters, please educate them on this and get them vaccinated. Where I am right now is distressed and afraid because of the cancer risk and am going back to my gyno soon. I will keep you posted.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I was diagnosed with herpes 2 in January of this year. I contacted the person with whom I was sexually active, and he did not want to talk to me. I told him not to answer the phone and told him that he had given me a STD. Of course, I never heard from him again. My first outbreak was two years ago with bleeding that I didn't know what to think about. The second outbreak was like a mosquito bite, and it just itched. Don't ignore any "bite" that itches. I never have lesions (except for two times) but I always get the "bite" and itching. I have been taking Valtrex now for nine months and still get outbreaks. I have tried, Zinc, Lysine, and vitamin C but still have the outbreaks. I am not happy with the results with Valtrex, but I don't think there is anything any stronger than that on the market.

Comment from: zodiac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Recently I have experienced that whenever semen is released during sex it gives me a burning pain as if some chili powder is poured out. I am concerned.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms you experienced with your STD.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment, including medication, was used to treat your STD?
STDs in Women - HPVs and Genital Warts Question: How did you discover you had HPV or genital warts? Please share your experience.