Patient Comments: Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you experienced with your STD.

Comment from: Chancroid Sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I suspect that I contracted chancroid in the fall of 2000. I experienced the 1st sore from it on my genitals very soon after I had the sexual contact I contracted the infection through. At the time I thought it was herpes and that I had a herpes infection because of the sore. It was very large and very painful. It was throbbing with pain. I also started experiencing very severe fatigue at this time which I did not know at the time was chronic fatigue syndrome. I got a syphilis blood test in November of 2002 which was negative and a herpes blood test in December of 2002 which was negative, so I assumed I had chancroid and that chancroid was responsible for that sore and the other genital sores I had after that as well as the fatigue. I went to an infectious disease specialist in January of 2003 and told about this and he told me that I didn't have to worry about whether I had chancroid because according to him chancroid wasn't a very serious infection. He told me that I didn't need treatment for it since I hadn't had a sore from it since summer of 2002, and my immune system was successfully fighting the chancroid off on its own. He didn't say anything about whether I was infectious and claimed that fatigue wasn't a symptom. The chronic fatigue syndrome that I started experiencing when I contracted the infection is very severe and very debilitating. It is still going on. I wonder if it is possible that they just don't know enough about chancroid that they can know that it doesn't cause chronic fatigue syndrome. I have sent e-mails to the CDC about this and they have told me that no STD can cause chronic fatigue syndrome. The chronic fatigue syndrome started when I got the first sore. I don't think that this could be a coincidence.

Comment from: blue purple, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Two days ago I noticed a creamy discharge from my penis and it later turned yellow. I started feeling a mild irritation and burning when urinating and today felt a growing lump in my groin with a minor pain and swelling. This is scary.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have blisters in and on my vagina. It also burns.

Comment from: christinah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have an itching vagina and lower abdominal pain, with STD. It hurts when I urinate and I have yellowish discharge.

Comment from: bea bianca, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I do observe discharge in my vagina that is watery in color, sometimes white or yellow, and it worries me about STD. And it is smelly.

Comment from: Tsholofelo Gokonwang, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I do observed discharge in my vagina that is watery in color, sometimes white or yellow, and it worries me.

Comment from: Favor, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

I do observe discharge from my breast if I press it,and I also observe discharge from my Virginia that is water in color and a times white or yellow and it worries me much,what could be the cause

Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Experience Question: What type of STD did you have?
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment, including medication, was used to treat your STD?
STDs in Women - HPVs and Genital Warts Question: How did you discover you had HPV or genital warts? Please share your experience.