- Surprising Benefits of Sex Slideshow
- Take the Sex & Love Quiz
- Sex-Drive Killers Slideshow: Causes of Low Libido
- What is the most common cause of sex problems among men and women?
- What is the most common sexual problem in men?
- What is the true definition of erectile dysfunction -- and what are the most common causes?
- What causes sexual dysfunction in women?
- What causes pain in the penis?
- Why do some women have painful intercourse?
- What is retrograde ejaculation, and how is it treated?
- Is having an erection for an extended period of time dangerous?
- Which medications commonly cause sex problems for men or women?
- Is it true that sex can actually give some people a headache?
Quick GuideThe Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
Which medications commonly cause sex problems for men or women?
The most well-known medications are antidepressant drugs such as Prozac, or tranquilizers, such as Valium, both of which can impact sex drive in both men and women. For women, certain birth control pills can put a damper on desire, as can some formulations of HRT used to treat menopause symptoms. Drugs known to increase the risk of impotency in men include certain high blood pressure drugs, antihistamines used for colds or allergies, some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (like ibuprofen), heartburn drugs such as Tagamet, Zantac, and Pepcid, some lipid-lowering drugs for cholesterol, and certain medications used to treat Parkinson's disease or cancer.