- Type 2 Diabetes: Learn the Warning Signs
- Diabetes and Foot Problems Slideshow
- Take the Diabetes Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes - Experience
- Patient Comments: Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes - Men
- Patient Comments: Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes - Prevention
- Find a local Endocrinologist in your town
- Sexual and urological problems of diabetes facts*
- Introduction to sexual and urological problems of diabetes
- Diabetes and sexual problems
- What sexual problems can occur in men with diabetes?
- What sexual problems can occur in women with diabetes?
- Diabetes and urologic problems
- Who is at risk for developing sexual and urologic problems of diabetes?
- Can diabetes-related sexual and urologic problems be prevented?
- Sexual and Urologic Problems of Diabetes At A Glance
- Hope through research
Who is at risk for developing sexual and urologic problems of diabetes?
Risk factors are conditions that increase the chances of getting a particular disease. The more risk factors people have, the greater their chances of developing that disease or condition. Diabetic neuropathy and related sexual and urologic problems appear to be more common in people who
- have poor blood glucose control
- have high levels of blood cholesterol
- have high blood pressure
- are overweight
- are older than 40
- are physically inactive
Can diabetes-related sexual and urologic problems be prevented?
People with diabetes can lower their risk of sexual and urologic problems by keeping their blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels close to the target numbers their health care provider recommends. Being physically active and maintaining a healthy weight can also help prevent the long-term complications of diabetes. For those who smoke, quitting will lower the risk of developing sexual and urologic problems due to nerve damage and also lower the risk for other health problems related to diabetes, including heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease.