Patient Comments: Septic Arthritis - Diagnosis

What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of septic arthritis?

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My knee started to hurt one night and by next day I was in agony. After 3 trips to Accident & Emergency, 2 to the doctor and 3 to a fracture clinic (unbelievably) they finally took a blood test. I was admitted and had 2 washouts and was on a drip for 3 weeks. I had a manipulation 2 months later, spent 10 months unable to walk without severe pain and finally had a knee replacement. Septic arthritis is bad news.

Comment from: Rusty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had severe pain, inability bear weight, and malaise that led me to go to the emergency room. After being told to go home, I refused to leave. I told them that I did not have fibromyalgia and did not want narcotics and the pain medications that I had been taking for months were not helping the pain. I wanted them to find out what was causing the pain. The doctors then did a CBC and said my white count was really high. I had fever, sweating, and screamed when I moved. A needle aspiration revealed septic arthritis. I had to demand treatment, but at least they finally figured out what was wrong with me.

Septic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your septic arthritis?
Septic Arthritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your septic arthritis?
Septic Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with septic arthritis.