Patient Comments: Septic Arthritis - Diagnosis

What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of septic arthritis?

Comment from: Aussie74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I strained my back during spring cleaning. When it hung on over a week, I had an ultrasound which showed nil, so I continued with corticosterone therapy. Eight weeks later I had another scan that showed huge changes. Pain levels were through the roof and other symptoms neither of us saw developed (doctor or I). Doctor didn't pick it up but when he sent me back to get another procedure-guided injection of cortisone, the radiologist said to have that much change in ultrasounds 2 months apart meant something was seriously wrong. After hospital admission and so many tests, it was found to be septic arthritis and was on 12 weeks of intravenous and then oral antibiotics. I'm under 40 with lowered immune and hypothyroidism/obesity/depression/Herpes 2. I swear my eyes and brain degenerated or were affected in some way, apart from the advanced degeneration in my disc. I wonder if that is possible.

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My knee started to hurt one night and by next day I was in agony. After 3 trips to Accident & Emergency, 2 to the doctor and 3 to a fracture clinic (unbelievably) they finally took a blood test. I was admitted and had 2 washouts and was on a drip for 3 weeks. I had a manipulation 2 months later, spent 10 months unable to walk without severe pain and finally had a knee replacement. Septic arthritis is bad news.

Comment from: Rusty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had severe pain, inability bear weight, and malaise that led me to go to the emergency room. After being told to go home, I refused to leave. I told them that I did not have fibromyalgia and did not want narcotics and the pain medications that I had been taking for months were not helping the pain. I wanted them to find out what was causing the pain. The doctors then did a CBC and said my white count was really high. I had fever, sweating, and screamed when I moved. A needle aspiration revealed septic arthritis. I had to demand treatment, but at least they finally figured out what was wrong with me.

Septic Arthritis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your septic arthritis?
Septic Arthritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your septic arthritis?
Septic Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with septic arthritis.