Patient Comments: Septic Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your septic arthritis?

Comment from: coco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I walked a 5km cancer walk, then worked the next day 12 hours with no problems. When I returned home the right knee swelled and I couldn't walk at all. The pain was unbearable. I went to the doctor. They scheduled test in about 10 days. The pain was extreme so I called the doctor and wanted to go to the hospital. They told me to wait or my insurance wouldn't pay the hospital bill, as I had scheduled test. Like a fool I waited for a few more days till I couldnt take the pain anymore. I went to the hospital and after some testing they drained a large amount of fluid out of my knee. It was infected. I also had MRSA. To cut this a little short I've had 4 surgeries and several other drainings and knee adjustments. It's been 4 months since I've walked or driven. I'm in therapy 3 times a week trying to straighten and bend this knee. The surgeon wants to install a new knee but can't because if you have an infection it will attack an artificial joint so I have to wait a year till infection is gone.

Comment from: Nick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I was given IV antibiotics and had two surgeries just to wash out the affected joint. In my case it was my right middle finger middle knuckle, where 3 weeks prior to diagnosis I had a puncture wound.

Septic Arthritis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your septic arthritis?
Septic Arthritis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with septic arthritis.
Septic Arthritis - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of septic arthritis?