Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: helosthebattle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

Last month my dad got sick after a few trips. He looked like he had the flu. I know he had chills and later had a hard time breathing and it felt like stomach flu stuff. When he went to the emergency room (ER) they diagnosed him to be in septic shock. It happened so fast. And when I last saw him up and around he wasn't super sick. But when he was in the ER it went from bad to a nightmare. His small intestines had an obstruction. Fatty tissue caused a blockage. Then it was like a domino effect; kidneys, lungs, ventilator, and his blood pressure dropped so low. He was maxed on blood pressure medicines. Then his heart rate was super high. We'd get small things of hope. Then something else hit. With liquid in his lungs he was transferred to a better hospital. There the surgeons found C. difficile in his bowels. Part of it was dying and they removed 120 cm of small intestines. Then his colon went and they removed that. Then his heart; he flat lined 5 times, so they put a pacemaker in. He kept making it through these miracles. Doctors thought he was amazing. Then he got sick again. His small intestines had a hole and they removed more. The man had 15 surgeries. His lungs gave him more trouble and he ended up back on the ventilator after getting off it. Then he started bleeding. That would be it. They tried to save him. He went smiling. All I know is sepsis took my dad at 59.

Comment from: dental sepsis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Two years ago I started experiencing a rash that consisted of small red boils all over my body. I went to several doctors who did not diagnose the rash. The cause was not ever pin-pointed or diagnosed, until I noticed that I have a re-occurring dental issue with an infected gum line due to faulty dental fillings. I continually told countless dentists and emergency room doctors that I had a bad tooth and they continued to perform faulty dental filling replacements. I finally saw a dermatologist who has given me powerful month long courses of antibiotics to tide me over until I can visit a dentist. I may have to extract the molar as I cannot go through any faulty dental work any longer. My dermatologist could only agree that this was a form of CA-MRSA without running any culture or blood tests for dental sepsis.

Comment from: bign, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My sepsis symptoms were fever and kidney failure. My white blood cell count was 38,000 and I had extreme swelling of colon.

Comment from: sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had fever, pain in spine, headache, body aches, pain and weakness with a sepsis infection. I had a painful sore on finger that looked like dots that were pus filled, redness and very sore around the area, eyes ache, streaks of redness in my hand and going down my arm and in my veins. I was very tired/fatigued.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My partner of eight years, who I loved with all my heart, was not in the best of health. I was her caregiver and to cut a long story short, 3 years ago she had a new hip which was very successful. Twelve months later she had post vaginal bleeding which was spits and spots. After further tests and investigations they found she has a couple of polyps in the womb, which were cut out, and she was sent home the same day. Eleven months later she had the same symptoms of vaginal bleeding after scans and tests again, they found more polyps, and a cyst on the left side of the womb. They cut out the polyps again but left the cyst in. In the meantime she had bouts of sickness and she was quite ill. We had to take her to the surgery to see the doctor, who quite confidently said she had a water infection, but already had been diagnosed with lung disease from 40 years of smoking. So she was quite breathless and on a puffer. Two days after taking her antibiotics for her water infection she was ill again and being sick all night, the following day the sickness had stopped but she felt very rough and tired. The following night she started shivering although she was burning hot with a temperature. So at 6 am I had to phone for an ambulance, who took her into hospital on blues and twos. We arrived at hospital at 6:45 am and all doctors told me they were certain she was very ill. At 9 am she died and my life was devastated. They told me she died from sepsis, and a water infection, and lung infection. I am convinced that cyst gave her the blood poisoning and her death could have been prevented.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?