Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Sara, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My 6 year old daughter was in the emergency department 5 days ago with extreme stomach pain and fever. The doctors never officially diagnosed her with sepsis but my nurse friends all agree that she had sepsis. Heart rate was 150-180, CRP was 17, pulse ox was 87-90, blood pressure was 80/34, respiration rate was a whopping 84, blood sugar was sky high per the doctor, potassium was 2.5, and her WBC count was a whopping 33,000. Her temperature was 103.4. She was gray, even her lips were gray, she was weak, and my normally cuddly daughter did not want me anywhere near her. They transported her via ambulance to the only children"s hospital in the area because of suspected appendicitis and started IV Rocephin right away. First chest x-ray was clear then 2 days later they did another (after ruling out the appendicitis) and they then told us they suspected pneumonia. She got 4 doses of IV Rocephin and just finished a round of Zithromax. I have never been so scared in my life!

Comment from: PennyM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I woke up with backache and sore joints. The next day the headache started, the worst imaginable. I felt weak, exhausted, and very ill. I was unable to sleep, hallucinating, with a temperature of 41 deg Celsius. Then I developed rigors, followed by me sweating profusely. This carried on for a week before I went to the doctor. As I have no Medical Aid (I live in South Africa) I did not go to hospital as the private hospitals cost thousands of Rand upfront. My WBC was 300. I was put on 2 strong antibiotics, which took 2 days to start working. The sepsis was caused by an abscess on my ovary. I am recovering, but am suffering memory problems, hair loss and bad skin breakouts.

Comment from: Survivor2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I survived sepsis on December 2013. It all started with a urinary tract infection (UTI). I had fever, chills, shortness of breath, no energy and rashes on my legs. I was in ICU for a week. I had kidney failure and went on dialysis twice. My doctors saved my life.

Comment from: Kona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

My barefoot broke through a rotting log and large splinters went through my toe webs and out near my ankle. I had surgery but then the infections started, looked like a melting leprosy, skin bubbled and oozed and started fusing my toes together. My body would not respond to two types of antibiotics, this went on for a month and then I realized nothing medical science could do for my condition. On the second blood test, sepsis was diagnosed, I believe it was called micro-bacterium, talk of being put in quarantine at the hospital and possible foot amputation. Oh no, from here on in I elevated my foot in the TV room and I sat in my chair for months. Some of my symptoms were, foot and hands felt like raw throbbing meat with no skin, then my feet started feeling like tinfoil inside with cockroaches running around, horrific feeling lasted for months, body was cold, exhausted and I slept a great deal. Swelling on my foot started reducing by the 3rd month and I started limping around and feeling much better. It is now the 6th month since my foot injury and this week"s blood test reveals that I am now pre-diabetic, more than likely because of the infection and lack of exercise. No one in my family has diabetes and I"m not a sugar eater. Hopefully my foot will heal in time if not, at least I"m feeling much better.

Comment from: motherofmajor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My sepsis infection was in 2004, the result of a dog bite. Initial symptoms were headache and nausea, mild diarrhea, and grey-blue mottling on my hand and torso. The symptoms came on fast, and I was in septic shock exactly 72 hours after the bite.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?