Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Jugh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a pancoast tumor (lung cancer) diagnosed in January 2013. I underwent chemo-radiotherapy in the spring of that year with a PET scan in July that showed no cancer left. I was to have surgery to remove the top of my right lung and the dead tumor as soon as I had recovered from the treatment. I woke up one day with the most terrible pain in my ribs on the left side, and feeling freezing cold but sweating. I then started the rigors, this went on for a few days. I was admitted to the hospital and my blood pressure was 65 over 50. I had never felt so ill even through all the cancer treatment, thank goodness they started me on IV metronidazole straight away before they even had any blood cultures back or test results. They said that sepsis was living in the dead tumor. I stayed on metronidazole until I had the surgery in October 2013. Every time I came off it the symptoms would start to return. As soon as they removed the tumor I was fine, I would never want to experience this again.

Comment from: butterfly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I survived a severe septic shock in September 2013. I originally had vomiting, abdominal pain, temperature, rash, headache, and stiff joints. I was in resuscitation for 12 hours then sent to intensive therapy unit (ITU) where I was put on life support for 7 weeks and needed 8 lots of dialysis, blood and platelet transfusions and medicines to keep my heart going. My family were told I probably wouldn"t survive. But here I am 7 months on and finally getting better.

Comment from: Sara, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My 6 year old daughter was in the emergency department 5 days ago with extreme stomach pain and fever. The doctors never officially diagnosed her with sepsis but my nurse friends all agree that she had sepsis. Heart rate was 150-180, CRP was 17, pulse ox was 87-90, blood pressure was 80/34, respiration rate was a whopping 84, blood sugar was sky high per the doctor, potassium was 2.5, and her WBC count was a whopping 33,000. Her temperature was 103.4. She was gray, even her lips were gray, she was weak, and my normally cuddly daughter did not want me anywhere near her. They transported her via ambulance to the only children"s hospital in the area because of suspected appendicitis and started IV Rocephin right away. First chest x-ray was clear then 2 days later they did another (after ruling out the appendicitis) and they then told us they suspected pneumonia. She got 4 doses of IV Rocephin and just finished a round of Zithromax. I have never been so scared in my life!

Comment from: PennyM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I woke up with backache and sore joints. The next day the headache started, the worst imaginable. I felt weak, exhausted, and very ill. I was unable to sleep, hallucinating, with a temperature of 41 deg Celsius. Then I developed rigors, followed by me sweating profusely. This carried on for a week before I went to the doctor. As I have no Medical Aid (I live in South Africa) I did not go to hospital as the private hospitals cost thousands of Rand upfront. My WBC was 300. I was put on 2 strong antibiotics, which took 2 days to start working. The sepsis was caused by an abscess on my ovary. I am recovering, but am suffering memory problems, hair loss and bad skin breakouts.

Comment from: Survivor2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I survived sepsis on December 2013. It all started with a urinary tract infection (UTI). I had fever, chills, shortness of breath, no energy and rashes on my legs. I was in ICU for a week. I had kidney failure and went on dialysis twice. My doctors saved my life.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?