Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My sepsis infection was believed to have occurred because of a urinary tract infection that went undiagnosed. I had a fever, severe chills to extremely hot, and generally not feeling well.

Comment from: Rudolph, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My husband was diagnosed with E. coli sepsis after a prostate biopsy. Prior to this he was very healthy with no ill-health. He displayed symptoms of high fever and rigors.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband was diagnosed and treated for septicemia. He was confused, had a temperature, and his breathing and heartbeat were very rapid. His white blood count was 22. They treated him with IV fluids and antibiotics, but they did not do a blood culture, which is ER 101, so we will never know which bacteria was responsible. We do not know what caused it, although there are two possibilities. He had a bad tooth and received contrast dye for an MRI in the week before. He is better now after being in the hospital for five days. He was in very good health before with no underlying problems.

Comment from: ted0504, 75 or over Female Published: March 20

My mother was hospitalized three different times with chronic diarrhea. They could never find out what was causing this problem and she ended up with a sepsis infection. She was moved to ICU due to a drop in her blood pressure. She passed away within 24 hours. She was 78 years old, and before this happened she lead a very healthy and productive life.

Comment from: kenny76, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I started with a fever and a temperature of 40+ then I noticed I had a spot on my buttock the day after, then the day after that when I woke up my full bum cheek was swollen and the size of 20 cms. I knew then there was something wrong as it being a Sunday I couldn't do anything, so on Monday I went to doctors and he sent me straight to the hospital to have surgery as I had an abscess and the toxins had gone into my blood stream and caused sepsis I was a horrible felling knowing you was dying because of the stage it was at , but lucky the doctors and nurses acted quickly and saved my life.

Comment from: dinky, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My husband was diagnosed with it previously. Upon the arrival of the ambulance his temp was 38.9, he was struggling to breath, very feverish. He did have a cough 3-4 days earlier but also has a weak immune system.

Comment from: bodiecharles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was very confused. I had a high fever. I was not aware of my surroundings or family. I had a seizure and was in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks. I am very lucky to be alive. It started with a UTI and progressed to sepsis. I hope to God I don't ever have it happen again. I run scared every time I get not feeling well. I did not feel sick until I became confused and not aware of what was happening.

Comment from: mj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I got severe sepsis about two weeks after an abscessed tooth extraction that was not diagnosed until about 5 months later. I had high WBC, monocytes, lymphocytes, ketones, and cortisol. Also hyperventilation, fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, low blood pressure, anemia, heart problems, then low hemotocrits, tight chest feeling, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, tremors, shock. I also felt like I was going to have a stroke. I have never fully recovered and although I was born with SVCAH, it feels as though I have symptoms of Addison's disease now due to not being treated.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?