Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: sandie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Three years ago I had foot surgery and the wound got infected. Next year I had more foot surgery by the same doctor. Then a year later I had my knee scraped and then December last year I had the knee replaced. Nothing would heel. Looking at report when I had 58 staples out I found out they said I had SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome).

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 10drxtc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I got really dizzy and was shivering in my room like it was 20 degrees outside. Then while trying to sleep (and waking every 45-60 minutes) I started sweating profusely and had to open the window. I was also extremely thirsty and had a pretty bad headache.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: kcirnev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got a sepsis infection during breast reconstruction following a double mastectomy. I had four surgeries in three days trying to get the relocated tissue to stay viable. I developed pneumonia and had renal failure. I never was told what happened with my blood pressure. I was conscious only for very brief periods the first of my two weeks in the intensive care unit (ICU). My doctor said I wouldn't have made it had I not been in a large hospital that had lots of resources immediately available. It took a few months for blood work to show normal results. I'm in generally good health now, although the breast reconstruction was a total failure.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I began to feel ill at 3pm Saturday with vomiting and diarrhea. Also with a headache no fever or other syptoms. I went to the hospital and went into septis shock my blood pressure was 50/33. I was rushed into intensive care and given medication to raise my blood pressure and given 3 IV antibiotics. My lungs started to fill with fluid so my sats where at 85%.i was intensive care for 4 days when the blood culture came back I was given the right antibiotic for the bacteria. They did every test in the hospital to find the infection but couldn't find it. I was on iv antibiotics for 10 days and in the hospital for 2 weeks. I was a systematic which means I didn't have the usual symptoms for sepsis. I am lucky to be alive as if I didn't get to the hospital when I did my blood pressure dropped so fast I wouldn't have mad it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Gttrambler, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My pain started with a sharp pain in my shoulder collar bone area on February 17, 2011 at 6 am. I am 56 year old and in very good health. By 12 noon I could not move my shoulder. I thought it was a rotator cuff. Pain was awesome by 12 noon on same day. I went to the emergency room next day they said tendonitis. By Tuesday I could not even walk. My wife put me in hospital on wednesday and they transferred me to bigger hospital by ambulance next day. Still not knowing what was wrong by Thursday it was determined I had sepsis in my collar bone. They cut the end of my collarbone off and I got one per cent better each day. Six months later I am doing great. I took IV antibiotics for 60 days. I am on oral antibiotics for another 60 days. I am thankful to be here.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed Septic Pneumonia right around Christmas of 2011. I had a fever of 103 about two weeks beforehand, and didn't even realize I was developing pneumonia. I was out with my daughter a block from our house and couldn't remember how to get home. From that point on it went downhill quickly, forcing a family member to call 911. My breathing literally went from "normal" to labored in hours. I spent 4 days in I.C.U. with an initial blood pressure of 70/33. I had a triple line going into one arm and a single line into the other. Of course, I remember almost nothing of my time in I.C.U. It wasn't until I was placed in a regular hospital room that I have any real memories. The doctor told me it was very close, the only thing that saved me was the fact I went into the hospital when I did. Another day I would have died, according to the doctor. All I can say is it's important to educate all family members on the signs and symptoms of Sepsis and Pneumonia, because I had no idea I was getting sick. I wasn't coughing or bringing up mucus at all. All I know is I woke up feeling tired, exhausted is more like it, with little or no symptomology typical of pneumonia. This is the third time I have had sepsis, the other two after brown recluse spider bites. Take it from me, this is a silent and very dangerous killer. If not for my nephew calling 911 I would be dead. The doctor told my Mom he was giving me a 50/50 chance of survival. I am 45, which is why I was able to beat it. I spent 8 days in the hospital and decided to leave, feeling much better. Fortunately I have always been a quick healer.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors