Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: rosey442, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

It started out with me having pain in my legs on a Fri. evening. By Sunday evening I was dropping things as well. I also had a red place on the back of my leg. By Monday morning, I was unresponsive to my son who claimed I had been talking to my deceased parents which I kept asking him where they went. He called 911. After initial ER exam, I was admitted and in ICU. I remained confused for a couple of days. I was running a fever of 108. I never knew it could go that high and live. I was placed on 3 different IV antibiotics. I have no memories of Mon. morning on, just what family told me. I stayed in ICU 3 days and then was transferred to a regular room. I was discharged after 11 days and was on IV antibiotics for another 10 days. It has been a little over a month since I came home from the hospital. I had had cellulitis in my which has finally now healed and which the doctors think caused the sepsis. I still cannot believe how close I came to death. I think that being 54 and in decent health is what saved me.

Comment from: brehroberts, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

My husband had a swollen knee, high temperature, and just felt sick. His doctor took a syringe of very dark blood from his knee. He sent him directly to the outpatient department as he thought there was a blood clot in his leg. A blood sample was taken and analyzed. He had to wait about 4 hours for it to culture (grow). The hospital took it seriously and were very concerned. They would not let him leave. The sample showed a cocci. He had to stay in the hospital for 5 days to receive intravenous antibiotics. He made a full recovery. We have no idea how he got th infection, he had no cuts or bites. It made me realize that this can soon escalate to a serious life threatening condition.

Comment from: deb, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 24

My husband ran a fever off and on for 11 days. He had been having chills-whole body shaking cold. He went to his doctor twice. He became dizzy and fell. My husband was 56 years old with NASH disease, his diabetes attacked his liver causing cirrhosis. The day he fell, I took him to the ER. Blood cultures found he had a fungal infection in his blood. Blood cultures take 3 days to even get preliminary results. It had already caused too much more damage to his liver, kidneys started failing. 5 days after we got to the ER, he passed away.

Comment from: Bky111, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My mom who is 63 years old has been diagnosed with sepsis. She has kidney failure due to this and also her lungs are effected due to Pnuemonia.

Comment from: luckym, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

On Wednesday morning I had a mild pain in my lower back. It started at 7:15 am and by 10 am I was in severe pain. I drove myself the 20 minutes to the ER and by then I had a fever of 100.7. Soon the doctors determined that I had a kidney infection and later discovered that I was septic too. I had a low blood pressure of 75/50 and a pulse rate of 100-110. Normally I have high blood pressure so I was amazed at how low it can go. I spent 3 days in the ICU and 1 day in a regular hospital room before being released. During that time I ran high fevers 3 times and each time I had to be iced down to bring the fever under control. I also received IV fluids and 3 antibiotics through the IV during the first 3 days. It is now a week later and I am feeling better, but only because I am only 45 and healthy with very good doctors.

Comment from: vernell, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My uncle, who is 80 years old started with these symptoms. In less than three days' time he began to fall. Then, he became less responsive during conversations and showed signs of lethargy. Next, a couple of hours after our visit with him, he was totally non-responsive and was rushed to the emergency room. The doctor said he'd had the septicemia for a long time before his admission, and was not expected to survive the night. He is improving daily, but is swollen all over. He was on a respirator, his blood sugar was low, and his blood pressure was very low. He was given meds to keep his blood pressure elevated, as without it, his pressure fell rapidly. I never saw anything like it before. Even though he has improved, I still worry as there is now blood in his urine.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?