Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I began to feel ill at 3pm Saturday with vomiting and diarrhea. Also with a headache no fever or other syptoms. I went to the hospital and went into septis shock my blood pressure was 50/33. I was rushed into intensive care and given medication to raise my blood pressure and given 3 IV antibiotics. My lungs started to fill with fluid so my sats where at 85%.i was intensive care for 4 days when the blood culture came back I was given the right antibiotic for the bacteria. They did every test in the hospital to find the infection but couldn't find it. I was on iv antibiotics for 10 days and in the hospital for 2 weeks. I was a systematic which means I didn't have the usual symptoms for sepsis. I am lucky to be alive as if I didn't get to the hospital when I did my blood pressure dropped so fast I wouldn't have mad it.

Comment from: Gttrambler, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My pain started with a sharp pain in my shoulder collar bone area on February 17, 2011 at 6 am. I am 56 year old and in very good health. By 12 noon I could not move my shoulder. I thought it was a rotator cuff. Pain was awesome by 12 noon on same day. I went to the emergency room next day they said tendonitis. By Tuesday I could not even walk. My wife put me in hospital on wednesday and they transferred me to bigger hospital by ambulance next day. Still not knowing what was wrong by Thursday it was determined I had sepsis in my collar bone. They cut the end of my collarbone off and I got one per cent better each day. Six months later I am doing great. I took IV antibiotics for 60 days. I am on oral antibiotics for another 60 days. I am thankful to be here.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I developed Septic Pneumonia right around Christmas of 2011. I had a fever of 103 about two weeks beforehand, and didn't even realize I was developing pneumonia. I was out with my daughter a block from our house and couldn't remember how to get home. From that point on it went downhill quickly, forcing a family member to call 911. My breathing literally went from "normal" to labored in hours. I spent 4 days in I.C.U. with an initial blood pressure of 70/33. I had a triple line going into one arm and a single line into the other. Of course, I remember almost nothing of my time in I.C.U. It wasn't until I was placed in a regular hospital room that I have any real memories. The doctor told me it was very close, the only thing that saved me was the fact I went into the hospital when I did. Another day I would have died, according to the doctor. All I can say is it's important to educate all family members on the signs and symptoms of Sepsis and Pneumonia, because I had no idea I was getting sick. I wasn't coughing or bringing up mucus at all. All I know is I woke up feeling tired, exhausted is more like it, with little or no symptomology typical of pneumonia. This is the third time I have had sepsis, the other two after brown recluse spider bites. Take it from me, this is a silent and very dangerous killer. If not for my nephew calling 911 I would be dead. The doctor told my Mom he was giving me a 50/50 chance of survival. I am 45, which is why I was able to beat it. I spent 8 days in the hospital and decided to leave, feeling much better. Fortunately I have always been a quick healer.

Comment from: Chocolate_k46, 13-18 (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 15 years old and got septicemia 4 months ago after a knee arthroscopy. Within two days I had a temperature of 40+ my crp level was 239. My parents were told to prepare for the worst, I had 2 emergency procedures to get the sepsis under control but I still went into septic shock with a hemoglobin level of 7 and a resting heart rate of 160. I was in intensive care and I am very lucky to be alive. Since I have had 7 more operations on my knee and I am fighting fit. I have god to thank as I could easily not be alive today and my friend's dad was recently taken from pancreatic cancer. R.I.P. good luck to all of you and sorry to those who have lost loved ones to sepsis.

Comment from: sully, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

My opinion - once a person reaches 60 years of age, the medical profession cares little for your wellbeing. My after effects of sepsis infection are burning knees, sore throat, extremely sore right lung and lethargy. I am due for the removal of my prostate; none of the above factors seem to count.

Comment from: JOrtiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a baby and 1 week later I was in ICU with sepsis and E. coli. I believe I contracted the infection because of a dirty catheter that the nurse used to help me urinate.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?