Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: motherofmajor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My sepsis infection was in 2004, the result of a dog bite. Initial symptoms were headache and nausea, mild diarrhea, and grey-blue mottling on my hand and torso. The symptoms came on fast, and I was in septic shock exactly 72 hours after the bite.

Comment from: Cyndi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had seizures, low blood pressure, high heart rate, I warned my medical staff that I had more than just a bladder infection. A kidney stone was blocking my bladder, causing sepsis. Emergency surgery to remove the stone and insert a shunt was performed without antiseptic (due to the low blood pressure), and I survived.

Comment from: umullde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I experienced low grade fever, rapid heart rate, rapid respiration, dizziness, nausea and chills. I thought I had a bad 24 hour bug. I hardly noticed the light pink spot about the size of an orange on my lower leg.

Comment from: 23yearold, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was away on vacation and I developed chills and fever on a Saturday morning. I vomited on Sunday, thought it was viral and Monday I continued to take Tylenol and felt ok. Tuesday night chills were back with a high fever and I had cramps in my abdomen lower left side. Wednesday I went to the hospital and heart rate was 150 and WBC 20,000. I had 104 fever, difficulty urinating, severe pains in the abdomen. CAT scan was negative, ultrasound negative and urine came back positive for UTI (urinary tract infection) although I am told that it was not that bad. I was placed in ICU given 8 bags of fluids plus IV antibiotics. I spent 5 days in hospital on IV after which blood and urine cultures came back negative. They do not know what caused the sepsis. They are assuming that it was viral then turned bacterial.

Comment from: Mel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My symptoms are - absolutely freezing cold, shivering, rigors, convulsions, temperature 40 deg, extremely low blood pressure, rash, severe headache and back pain. I am coughing up blood and also have breathlessness.

Comment from: anamay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

He had trouble catching breath and vomiting. It was bilateral metapneumovirus sepsis and due to the above, he developed acute hypercarbic/hypoxic respiratory failure, toxic encephalopathy, hypertension, dehydration, and hyponatremia. He is diabetic mellitus type 2 and a tobacco abuser. He was sent home with oxygen and nebulizer machine and waiting to see lung doctor. He was hospitalized on March 22, was in ICU for 2 days and hasn't gone back to work; says he gets dizzy when he stands.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I got severe sepsis from a kidney stone. Perhaps this could be why I have fibromyalgia symptoms, with swelling and very sore joints, sore skin, etc.

Comment from: sandie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Three years ago I had foot surgery and the wound got infected. Next year I had more foot surgery by the same doctor. Then a year later I had my knee scraped and then December last year I had the knee replaced. Nothing would heel. Looking at report when I had 58 staples out I found out they said I had SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome).

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?