Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Chocolate_k46, 13-18 (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 15 years old and got septicemia 4 months ago after a knee arthroscopy. Within two days I had a temperature of 40+ my crp level was 239. My parents were told to prepare for the worst, I had 2 emergency procedures to get the sepsis under control but I still went into septic shock with a hemoglobin level of 7 and a resting heart rate of 160. I was in intensive care and I am very lucky to be alive. Since I have had 7 more operations on my knee and I am fighting fit. I have god to thank as I could easily not be alive today and my friend's dad was recently taken from pancreatic cancer. R.I.P. good luck to all of you and sorry to those who have lost loved ones to sepsis.

Comment from: YouGlee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I experience severe splitting in my fingers, mostly near the tips. I would have this problem for years thinking it was dry skin. I was diagnosed with sepsis and spent some time in the hospital. My splitting disappeared as did the sepsis infection. I was feeling better for a couple of months but now I believe I am having a relapse as all my sepsis signs are starting, then the splitting of my fingers started out of nowhere.

Comment from: TRICIA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have fever, chills vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: teagmollar, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My mom was a cancer patient with metastasized breast cancer which spread to her liver after 10 years of being in remission and undergoing a double mastectomy and reconstruction on her left breast as well as chemotherapy and radiation. She then started getting chemotherapy again for another year until it caused horrifying mouth sores which had gotten so excruciating, she only consumed Boost and yogurt for three weeks. She was soon after admitted to the hospital after getting driven to the ER for her side effects from her chemo. She had uncontrollable diarrhea and vomiting, a fluctuating temperature of 102, little to no energy, a UTI and yeast infection, confusion, swollen feet, hands, ankles and abdomen, which spread to her arms hands and neck once the sepsis got worse, sores on her inner thighs and mouth sores which bled profusely and progressively got worse and worse. She went from having little energy to not being able to lift her limbs without help, not being able to keep her eyes open to eat and to talk to family/friends/nurses/doctors, then she was to the point where she was so confused that she was repeatedly counting numbers for no reason and out of the blue, and was yelling "10" for her pain level when anyone would touch her. At this point after she was given IV fluids, multiple different antibiotics (which did not work due to her liver failure), her mouth sores had gotten so excruciating that when anyone would try to clean her mouth to get blood clots out, she would scream bloody murder. The sepsis had eventually led to the failure of her liver and kidneys. A week of being in the hospital, we decided it was best to put her on morphine for the excruciating pain she was in and accepted she wasn't going to get better and she passed 24 hours later peacefully of respiratory failure.

Comment from: Akista, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

My friend at the age of 37 had a razor burn turn into the flesh-eating disease. Currently, she's in a hospital. She's had her right implant removed and her leg amputated. Her symptoms were a high fever for 24 hours and extreme pain under her arm. She's been fighting for her life for a few weeks now. She's doing amazingly well, but this sickness is very aggressive with an extremely fast onset. Take every precaution you can.

Comment from: simply2cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

For two weeks I felt sick. I threw up, had bad stomach cramps, and a UTI, but still went to work. I knew something was wrong when I woke up at my office face-down. I had a fever, was sweating, lacked energy, had blurry vision, difficulty concentrating, and pain in my joints. When I passed out a second time, I went to the hospital and was admitted to the ICU. I had a high fever, three IVs, and cold rags. I still don't feel normal. They couldn't tell me exactly what I had—just that it was a blood infection.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?