Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: JOrtiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a baby and 1 week later I was in ICU with sepsis and E. coli. I believe I contracted the infection because of a dirty catheter that the nurse used to help me urinate.

Comment from: Kona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

My barefoot broke through a rotting log and large splinters went through my toe webs and out near my ankle. I had surgery but then the infections started, looked like a melting leprosy, skin bubbled and oozed and started fusing my toes together. My body would not respond to two types of antibiotics, this went on for a month and then I realized nothing medical science could do for my condition. On the second blood test, sepsis was diagnosed, I believe it was called micro-bacterium, talk of being put in quarantine at the hospital and possible foot amputation. Oh no, from here on in I elevated my foot in the TV room and I sat in my chair for months. Some of my symptoms were, foot and hands felt like raw throbbing meat with no skin, then my feet started feeling like tinfoil inside with cockroaches running around, horrific feeling lasted for months, body was cold, exhausted and I slept a great deal. Swelling on my foot started reducing by the 3rd month and I started limping around and feeling much better. It is now the 6th month since my foot injury and this week"s blood test reveals that I am now pre-diabetic, more than likely because of the infection and lack of exercise. No one in my family has diabetes and I"m not a sugar eater. Hopefully my foot will heal in time if not, at least I"m feeling much better.

Comment from: motherofmajor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My sepsis infection was in 2004, the result of a dog bite. Initial symptoms were headache and nausea, mild diarrhea, and grey-blue mottling on my hand and torso. The symptoms came on fast, and I was in septic shock exactly 72 hours after the bite.

Comment from: Cyndi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had seizures, low blood pressure, high heart rate, I warned my medical staff that I had more than just a bladder infection. A kidney stone was blocking my bladder, causing sepsis. Emergency surgery to remove the stone and insert a shunt was performed without antiseptic (due to the low blood pressure), and I survived.

Comment from: umullde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I experienced low grade fever, rapid heart rate, rapid respiration, dizziness, nausea and chills. I thought I had a bad 24 hour bug. I hardly noticed the light pink spot about the size of an orange on my lower leg.

Comment from: 23yearold, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was away on vacation and I developed chills and fever on a Saturday morning. I vomited on Sunday, thought it was viral and Monday I continued to take Tylenol and felt ok. Tuesday night chills were back with a high fever and I had cramps in my abdomen lower left side. Wednesday I went to the hospital and heart rate was 150 and WBC 20,000. I had 104 fever, difficulty urinating, severe pains in the abdomen. CAT scan was negative, ultrasound negative and urine came back positive for UTI (urinary tract infection) although I am told that it was not that bad. I was placed in ICU given 8 bags of fluids plus IV antibiotics. I spent 5 days in hospital on IV after which blood and urine cultures came back negative. They do not know what caused the sepsis. They are assuming that it was viral then turned bacterial.

Comment from: Mel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My symptoms are - absolutely freezing cold, shivering, rigors, convulsions, temperature 40 deg, extremely low blood pressure, rash, severe headache and back pain. I am coughing up blood and also have breathlessness.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?