Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

With sepsis I had a red line (streak) up my leg.

Comment from: badassbiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My sepsis was started by an E. coli bladder infection that was antibiotic resistant. My experience with sepsis started on a Saturday afternoon when I started getting body aches followed by chills and a high fever. I thought I got the flu. I went home, took Tylenol, some OTC flu medicine and went to bed. The flu like symptoms continued until Tuesday when I began to feel a little better. Late Wednesday afternoon I got a call from my primary care physician telling me to stop the antibiotics I was on for my urinary tract infection (which was the second one prescribed) and pick up a new antibiotic that was just called in for me. I was unable to make it to the pharmacy that evening. After dinner I felt very tired and a little achy. I thought I overdid it after such a bad flu. Thursday I woke up to go to work but was achy and moving very slow. By 9 am I was back in bed with a 101.4 fever, still thinking I had the flu. Throughout the day I had chills, every muscle and bone in my body hurt, it felt like I couldn't breathe and I was experiencing severe abdominal pain as though being stabbed by daggers. I couldn't stand up from being both weak and dizzy. As the day progressed the fever became higher and was not responding to Tylenol. At 5 pm my roommate took me to the emergency room with a 104.2 temperature. I received multiple bags of IV antibiotics and IV fluids. I was also given several shots of blood thinner, had 2 CT scans, a chest x-ray, untold amounts of blood drawn, several urine tests, a couple of steroid shots.

Comment from: shunt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I went for a routine prostate biopsy. Twelve hours later I awoke feeling very cold. My feet were like blocks of ice and I started to shiver a little. Within 5 minutes the shivering had taken over my body and was continuous; I now understand that I was in what is described as rigor. I was rushed to the hospital where the situation was quickly stabilized and my vital readings like blood pressure, temperature, etc., seemed to have returned to normal. About 3 hours later whilst I was waiting for a bed to be found for me in the hospital my feet once again began to feel very cold and within minutes the rigor had returned but this time more violently. I admit to being in a panic and feeling as if my body was shutting down. My breathing was very difficult and my chest was tightening. The next thing I knew I was in intensive care and being pumped full of antibiotics. Fortunately for me the antibiotics appear to have worked and after 3 days in ICU and another 4 days being monitored I was able to return home. One week later I have returned to work on a part-time business. I am one of the lucky ones I guess, however I have since heard directly of several similar incidents following on from a prostate biopsy and it does make me wonder about the level of risk involved in such a procedure.

Comment from: Jugh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a pancoast tumor (lung cancer) diagnosed in January 2013. I underwent chemo-radiotherapy in the spring of that year with a PET scan in July that showed no cancer left. I was to have surgery to remove the top of my right lung and the dead tumor as soon as I had recovered from the treatment. I woke up one day with the most terrible pain in my ribs on the left side, and feeling freezing cold but sweating. I then started the rigors, this went on for a few days. I was admitted to the hospital and my blood pressure was 65 over 50. I had never felt so ill even through all the cancer treatment, thank goodness they started me on IV metronidazole straight away before they even had any blood cultures back or test results. They said that sepsis was living in the dead tumor. I stayed on metronidazole until I had the surgery in October 2013. Every time I came off it the symptoms would start to return. As soon as they removed the tumor I was fine, I would never want to experience this again.

Comment from: butterfly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I survived a severe septic shock in September 2013. I originally had vomiting, abdominal pain, temperature, rash, headache, and stiff joints. I was in resuscitation for 12 hours then sent to intensive therapy unit (ITU) where I was put on life support for 7 weeks and needed 8 lots of dialysis, blood and platelet transfusions and medicines to keep my heart going. My family were told I probably wouldn"t survive. But here I am 7 months on and finally getting better.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?