Patient Comments: Sepsis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

With sepsis I had a red line (streak) up my leg.

Comment from: sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had fever, pain in spine, headache, body aches, pain and weakness with a sepsis infection. I had a painful sore on finger that looked like dots that were pus filled, redness and very sore around the area, eyes ache, streaks of redness in my hand and going down my arm and in my veins. I was very tired/fatigued.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My partner of eight years, who I loved with all my heart, was not in the best of health. I was her caregiver and to cut a long story short, 3 years ago she had a new hip which was very successful. Twelve months later she had post vaginal bleeding which was spits and spots. After further tests and investigations they found she has a couple of polyps in the womb, which were cut out, and she was sent home the same day. Eleven months later she had the same symptoms of vaginal bleeding after scans and tests again, they found more polyps, and a cyst on the left side of the womb. They cut out the polyps again but left the cyst in. In the meantime she had bouts of sickness and she was quite ill. We had to take her to the surgery to see the doctor, who quite confidently said she had a water infection, but already had been diagnosed with lung disease from 40 years of smoking. So she was quite breathless and on a puffer. Two days after taking her antibiotics for her water infection she was ill again and being sick all night, the following day the sickness had stopped but she felt very rough and tired. The following night she started shivering although she was burning hot with a temperature. So at 6 am I had to phone for an ambulance, who took her into hospital on blues and twos. We arrived at hospital at 6:45 am and all doctors told me they were certain she was very ill. At 9 am she died and my life was devastated. They told me she died from sepsis, and a water infection, and lung infection. I am convinced that cyst gave her the blood poisoning and her death could have been prevented.

Comment from: badassbiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My sepsis was started by an E. coli bladder infection that was antibiotic resistant. My experience with sepsis started on a Saturday afternoon when I started getting body aches followed by chills and a high fever. I thought I got the flu. I went home, took Tylenol, some OTC flu medicine and went to bed. The flu like symptoms continued until Tuesday when I began to feel a little better. Late Wednesday afternoon I got a call from my primary care physician telling me to stop the antibiotics I was on for my urinary tract infection (which was the second one prescribed) and pick up a new antibiotic that was just called in for me. I was unable to make it to the pharmacy that evening. After dinner I felt very tired and a little achy. I thought I overdid it after such a bad flu. Thursday I woke up to go to work but was achy and moving very slow. By 9 am I was back in bed with a 101.4 fever, still thinking I had the flu. Throughout the day I had chills, every muscle and bone in my body hurt, it felt like I couldn't breathe and I was experiencing severe abdominal pain as though being stabbed by daggers. I couldn't stand up from being both weak and dizzy. As the day progressed the fever became higher and was not responding to Tylenol. At 5 pm my roommate took me to the emergency room with a 104.2 temperature. I received multiple bags of IV antibiotics and IV fluids. I was also given several shots of blood thinner, had 2 CT scans, a chest x-ray, untold amounts of blood drawn, several urine tests, a couple of steroid shots.

Comment from: shunt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I went for a routine prostate biopsy. Twelve hours later I awoke feeling very cold. My feet were like blocks of ice and I started to shiver a little. Within 5 minutes the shivering had taken over my body and was continuous; I now understand that I was in what is described as rigor. I was rushed to the hospital where the situation was quickly stabilized and my vital readings like blood pressure, temperature, etc., seemed to have returned to normal. About 3 hours later whilst I was waiting for a bed to be found for me in the hospital my feet once again began to feel very cold and within minutes the rigor had returned but this time more violently. I admit to being in a panic and feeling as if my body was shutting down. My breathing was very difficult and my chest was tightening. The next thing I knew I was in intensive care and being pumped full of antibiotics. Fortunately for me the antibiotics appear to have worked and after 3 days in ICU and another 4 days being monitored I was able to return home. One week later I have returned to work on a part-time business. I am one of the lucky ones I guess, however I have since heard directly of several similar incidents following on from a prostate biopsy and it does make me wonder about the level of risk involved in such a procedure.

Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?