Patient Comments: Sepsis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your sepsis?

Comment from: RacerGirlSan13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had 3 bouts with sepsis. I flat lined/died 3 times. I shouldn't be here and am thankful every day that I am. I was down to 97 pounds, I had no clue I had it. I got up to go to work, got in the shower, by the time I got out I couldn't stand straight up and had a killer pain in my belly. I drove to the emergency room. I don't remember driving, all I know is I woke up 2 weeks later with a doctor looking at me. I had IV's, pick lines, renal shutdown, blood clots, warfarin forever, more tubes and bags than in my car! I also got MRSA - lovely. I was in the ICU for those 2 weeks, it all stemmed from years of severe malnutrition. I had bariatric surgery which has since been revised, years ago, hence the malnutrition. Nineteen surgeries later I still have some issues where he had to rebuild my side/stomach from a jejunostomy. Please, if you feel anything get it checked out better to be safe than sorry.

Comment from: rmann1966, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I woke up on Sunday January 6 2013 with pains in my left side, lower abs. I knew something was wrong, and had my wife take me to the walk in clinic, well they said it wasn't anything. By the time we got home from the ER I was in so much pain, my wife drove me to the Hospital ER, I was immed taken in for testing, at that time I had chest pains as well. I was given a chest xray and was found to have double pneumonia. They found something in my blood that didn't look right, so they had ordered more testing. I was admitted that day and by Tuesday morning, they put me out for 7 days because I was in so much pain. I was diagnosed with double pneumonia along with sepsis. The dr's didn't give my wife much hope for me. They kept telling her that I'm a very sick man. I was in ICU for 7 or 8 days and I was in the hospital for 15 days. At any given time i was on about 6 or 7 IV's. The only time that I had slept was when they had to put me out because of the pain, I left for 7 days straight. After that I would get 1 to 2 hrs a night, that's even with sleeping medication, nothing they gave me made me sleep. I'm very lucky to be here today. I should not have made it out of that hospital. By the time I left the hospital all of the nurses knew who I was. LOL I hope not to have to go thru that again. SEPSIS is very bad, and it drains the life out of you, it drains your family and friends emotionally. The not knowing of what will happen is terrible.

Comment from: don, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

During my first experience with my knee, I was a fire crew supervisor, and we were cleaning vegetation from the roadside. At the beginning of the week I started feeling my left knee getting sore. By Friday I could hardly move it. I went to the ER, where they extracted a couple hundred cc's of fluid from my knee. They took an X-ray and sent me to a specialist, who did surgery. I had about 45 days of rehab. Now, 20 years later, I'm facing the same operation. I was bowling, my shoe stuck to the floor, and I fell. My doctor said I bruised it. Two days later, the pain was quite severe. I went to the ER, where they did X-rays. A specialist ordered an MRI. Now I'm waiting to find out what kind of operation he is planning. Stay tuned.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?