Patient Comments: Sepsis - Causes

What caused your sepsis?

Comment from: Margaux, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

While hospitalized for chemotherapy I developed sepsis (Klebsiella pneumoniae, E. coli, Enterococcus faecalis) due to central line contamination resulting from shockingly poor hygiene standards on the part of the nursing staff.

Comment from: dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a denture implant in 2008, and it got infected. Part of my implant fell out and I was hooked up to antibiotics for 8 hours in the emergency room, with sepsis.

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have hepatitis C, having been diagnosed almost three years ago and relapsing after 36 week treatment of interferon and ribavirin. I have myalgia that causes constant pain that migrates from one area of the body to another. I spent three days in the hospital with what was diagnosed as pneumonia, was sent home on antibiotics. A week later my wife insisted I return to the emergency room because of elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, low grade temperature (100.6) and poor oxygen saturation (she bought a pulse oximeter for use at home). It was a good thing, it turned out I was in septic shock. The source of the infection turned out to be obstructed bile ducts in the liver, and the thought was that the pneumonia was a secondary infection. I had to be intubated and put on a ventilator so they could perform an ERCP to basically vacuum out the debris from my liver. I spent four days in ICU. My wife saved my life.

Comment from: umullde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have no idea what caused it, but I have several possibilities. I'm not diabetic, but am overweight and have problems with water retention in my lower legs. I periodically fight with fungal infections, both yeast infections and athlete's foot. I had an MRI at a local hospital for knee pain a few days prior and was under anesthetic for the procedure. I'm not prone to cellulitis, am currently fighting a raging cellulitis infection in my lower leg which spread very rapidly to my entire leg in less than a day.

Comment from: Kamya Aziz, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

For my case, I used to attend to patients in wards together with other people. Due to poor hygiene among some patients especially after surgery, they developed swellings of pus.

Comment from: Adana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Blood poisoning or sepsis can be brought on by Norwegian scabies also called crusted scabies.

Comment from: Guiseppe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

My sepsis was caused by infection in the gum after tooth extraction.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Pseudomonas aeruginosa caused my sepsis.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?