Patient Comments: Sepsis - Causes

What caused your sepsis?

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I got sepsis when I scratched a bug bite that was on my foot.

Comment from: bign, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

An oral surgery turned infectious and caused my sepsis. I went on the antibiotic Augmentin for 20 days and it wiped all bacteria from my gut the bad ones grew back faster.

Comment from: deebird61, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My 24 year old son died from sepsis. He had been on the ventilator due to muscular dystrophy. Soon after he was admitted, he no longer could have anything in his stomach. He was also on the gastronomy tube. That was the weirdest week for us. But now I know why. He knew he was dying and the disease took control. I miss him ever so much. I'm about ready to go under the same procedure he went under that may have caused his sepsis, so it does worry me.

Comment from: CK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I developed large watery blisters two weeks after having my spine fused. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they cut one open to culture. No bandages, no antibiotics, and no dressing. Two weeks after that, my family decided that I must have been overdosing on my pain medications, because I was, as they described it, crazy. They took me back to the ER, where I was yelling and cursing about the cats crawling all over me (they didn't exist). My kidneys had shut down and the doctor said I was within hours of death. I went straight to ICU, and then didn't know who my husband was. It was a long healing event. I still think I lost a little something in my brain. I don't know if it was from surgery or the half-baked effort from an inadequate hospital that left a raw, open sore on my foot. I have more blisters now.

Comment from: Margaux, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

While hospitalized for chemotherapy I developed sepsis (Klebsiella pneumoniae, E. coli, Enterococcus faecalis) due to central line contamination resulting from shockingly poor hygiene standards on the part of the nursing staff.

Comment from: dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a denture implant in 2008, and it got infected. Part of my implant fell out and I was hooked up to antibiotics for 8 hours in the emergency room, with sepsis.

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have hepatitis C, having been diagnosed almost three years ago and relapsing after 36 week treatment of interferon and ribavirin. I have myalgia that causes constant pain that migrates from one area of the body to another. I spent three days in the hospital with what was diagnosed as pneumonia, was sent home on antibiotics. A week later my wife insisted I return to the emergency room because of elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, low grade temperature (100.6) and poor oxygen saturation (she bought a pulse oximeter for use at home). It was a good thing, it turned out I was in septic shock. The source of the infection turned out to be obstructed bile ducts in the liver, and the thought was that the pneumonia was a secondary infection. I had to be intubated and put on a ventilator so they could perform an ERCP to basically vacuum out the debris from my liver. I spent four days in ICU. My wife saved my life.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?