Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: corie, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 11

My severe sepsis was caused by a ruptured appendix and a small bowel obstruction. I was on life support for two weeks with kidney and lung failure. I was hospitalized for a total of 7 weeks, heavy duty antibiotics and six blood transfusions. My blood type is O RH- (rare), I was given less than 50% chance to live, my prognosis was grave. Fifteen inches of my small intestine was removed, but I have no colostomy bag, I had an abscess on my pelvis which was drained by a catheter inserted through my hip. I am now walking around with a partially collapsed lung, but will make a full recovery. I"ve been told I am a miracle. This I already know!

Comment from: Country girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

On returning from a European cruise I thought that I was suffering from a chronic migraine headache and a chill in my back after travelling on a very cold Emirates flight from Dubai to New Zealand. Five days after arriving home the prognosis was septicemia resulting in immediate IV drips of antibiotics. The blood count broke all records for the area in which I live. Thank goodness for a doctor's quick diagnosis. I had earlier jammed my finger in a door resulting in slight damage to the cuticle of my middle finger. No real cut! Hard to believe that was all it took for the virus to enter my body with almost lethal results.

Comment from: kins, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My 84 year old mother who has bowel and secondary liver cancer became suddenly very ill and was taken to the hospital and we were told she had pneumonia septicemia, pleurisy and some renal failure. Her blood pressure dropped to 66/43. We were told she would not recover and would not be taken to ICU or resuscitated due to her poor condition. Somehow she is still here 5 days later medically fit for now, sitting up in bed putting her make-up on. Medics are baffled and don't know how she made it.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I suddenly got severe back pain and eventually could not move my legs and could not be touched anywhere. I had to be taken around piggyback that was very painful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Luckily I got treated within 24 hours. The sepsis was in my lungs and it went into my spine. I went through hell for 8 weeks and even longer. I had to wear a body brace and a full neck brace and after I went through 8 weeks of IV antibiotics and 6 months of oral antibiotics I did make a good recovery. I do have bone loss in my spine but very lucky for my recovery.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 44 year old female, I had been feeling unwell for weeks and having funny attacks. On one morning I woke up with extreme pain in my abdomen followed by diarrhea and vomiting and struggling to breathe. I passed out the first time and woke up with enough time to tell my husband to ring an ambulance after that I remember nothing. I had a full on seizure losing control of all my bodily functions. The ambulance arrived including the Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance(MICA) unit where they spent the next 90 minutes trying to get me to regain consciousness as my blood pressure was so low. I spent the next 4 days in hospital.

Comment from: Jeanie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had been taking Enbrel since 2006. It worked great for my RA and then it was not working. It was giving me sinus infections and RA nodules. One nodule on my right wrist was very painful. On Mother's Day 2013, I went to the ER in an ambulance. I don't remember anything for the first two days in ICU. I had sepsis from the arthritis nodule. Doctors saved my life! I almost died within 12 hours, and it was very scary for my family. I was on a four-week daily IV dose of antibiotics and then three weeks of oral antibiotics. Sepsis is a very painful infection, and I am very lucky I survived! And I no longer take Enbrel.

Comment from: Jon, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My girlfriend has septicemia and has had it for 4 months. She has had blood transfusions and antibiotics her blood read is 7 and they are talking about bone marrow transplant; she has loads of antibiotics.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had leg ulcers, a constant whistling in my head, hot sweats, and weight loss, and I got no sleep. I was always tired.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?