Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: SFS leader, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had sepsis twice. The first time I was 11, and was bitten by a rabid dog, and apparently got her fleas on me; which then bit me, and I scratched at the bites so bad that somehow it spread to my bloodstream. I had a massive fever, very bad headaches, and grogginess. They took me to the emergency room. I got some shot and I got better over time. My second time of blood poisoning, I was getting my pre-hydration for chemotherapy and my port wasn't cooperating and I started being symptomatic as I returned to the hotel I was staying at. I had insomnia, severe headaches, and a very low core temperature. I had to go back to the hospital, and I don't know what happened next because I fainted.

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

A friend of mine I was living with who was a caregiver noticed a red streak going from my foot up my leg and immediately told me I had blood poisoning. She gave me an old home remedy to use until I was able to make it to hospital in the morning. I was 5 months pregnant at the time.

Comment from: Big d, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I was admitted to the hospital for an angiogram. In the process of inserting the catheter my body was infected. I was transferred from the regional hospital to the larger central hospital. I spent the next four days in and out of consciousness. When I was awake I was fighting with the male nurse and telling the kids to go out and locate blue cars. They were seven and ten. I eventually had a quadruple bypass and was in the hospital for 30 days. One bright spot was that I got to see Tombstone about 50 times.

Comment from: trm2008, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a kidney removed due to 7 cm renal cell carcinoma. It was removed by hand assisted laparoscopy. Evidently the surgeon failed to repair the mesenteric defect, and 4 weeks later I was in the emergency room with horrible unrelenting pain. I had to have a laparotomy to remove over 5 feet of necrotic small bowel that had migrated though the defect in the mesentery and strangulated. I woke up in ICU still intubated with very low blood pressure, very high heart rate, and metabolic acidosis. Septic shock. I'm very lucky to be alive.

Comment from: GUY, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I pricked my finger in the garden, drew blood, then the finger went a bit inflamed, and arm felt like someone hit it with a hammer. Then a tickle started in the back of throat like flu, then chills and fevers, I was dizzy, staggering around house, and vomiting. I went to emergency department and they thought it was gastric. Heart rate was 180 and I had low blood pressure; they put me on fluids and stabilized me. Then 5 nights I was in intensive care, and the blood poisoning spread to my heart valve. I had infective endocarditis, survived two heart surgeries for repair and replacement of mitral valve. I'm lucky to have made it.

Comment from: Icicle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I started with flu symptoms, banging headache, shivering, high temperature, and extreme tiredness. I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor for a few days, so I eventually saw the nurse consultant, who checked my vital signs. After an ECG, she called an ambulance as the readings were abnormal. It seems I had a severe kidney infection, because there was a stone blocking the tube which drains the kidney. I was taken to theatre and a stent was put in to drain my kidney. I then spent 4 days on intravenous antibiotics, and was discharged with another 10 days of antibiotics. I need to go back next week to plan what happens next. I still feel exhausted and week, the slightest exertion brings me out in a sweat. The consultant said I was a bit septic.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?