Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: Jenniferliz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

A friend of mine I was living with who was a caregiver noticed a red streak going from my foot up my leg and immediately told me I had blood poisoning. She gave me an old home remedy to use until I was able to make it to hospital in the morning. I was 5 months pregnant at the time.

Comment from: Big d, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I was admitted to the hospital for an angiogram. In the process of inserting the catheter my body was infected. I was transferred from the regional hospital to the larger central hospital. I spent the next four days in and out of consciousness. When I was awake I was fighting with the male nurse and telling the kids to go out and locate blue cars. They were seven and ten. I eventually had a quadruple bypass and was in the hospital for 30 days. One bright spot was that I got to see Tombstone about 50 times.

Comment from: trm2008, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a kidney removed due to 7 cm renal cell carcinoma. It was removed by hand assisted laparoscopy. Evidently the surgeon failed to repair the mesenteric defect, and 4 weeks later I was in the emergency room with horrible unrelenting pain. I had to have a laparotomy to remove over 5 feet of necrotic small bowel that had migrated though the defect in the mesentery and strangulated. I woke up in ICU still intubated with very low blood pressure, very high heart rate, and metabolic acidosis. Septic shock. I'm very lucky to be alive.

Comment from: GUY, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I pricked my finger in the garden, drew blood, then the finger went a bit inflamed, and arm felt like someone hit it with a hammer. Then a tickle started in the back of throat like flu, then chills and fevers, I was dizzy, staggering around house, and vomiting. I went to emergency department and they thought it was gastric. Heart rate was 180 and I had low blood pressure; they put me on fluids and stabilized me. Then 5 nights I was in intensive care, and the blood poisoning spread to my heart valve. I had infective endocarditis, survived two heart surgeries for repair and replacement of mitral valve. I'm lucky to have made it.

Comment from: Becca, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My husband received a power port and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube for chemotherapy on 3/7 and started chemotherapy and radiation on 3/19. On 4/2 he was in the hospital with high fever, heart rate and blood pressure. After 3 days he was released as non-specific infection. He did chemotherapy every Wednesday 5 times and each time I reported to the lead doctor he would run a high fever and all of the same symptoms as above and was told "it can"t be from the Cisplatin, the dose is not high enough", but they never tried to find out what the problem was. On 4/23 (18 days later) he was back in with 104 fever and 158 blood pressure, his heart rate was out of control and a parotid gland under his left ear was huge, the size of a lime they said. He was finally released on 4/30 with bacteremia, sepsis! We did home IV antibiotic infusions 24/7 for 22 days. Since my husband was not healing we saw OSU Infectious Disease, who were dumbfounded that the port was still in place, it should have been pulled out they claimed! In a couple of days our surgeon pulled the port claiming he was never advised by the hospital he works with. Now we have just started with IV infusions for 1/2 hour every day at the hospital with a stronger antibiotic, post port removal. We were told by the hospital, "someone broke protocol accessing his port" as the culprit for this, but right now everyone is pointing fingers since they all failed to recognize this in early April or did not send him home then with antibiotics.

Comment from: happy girl76, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

We had a daughter who had got sick with what we thought was an infected hair at the top of her private area. It then turned into a very large and was right above her vaginal area, which over time continued to get bigger. She had been to the doctor on several appointments and was put in hospital several times and that is when we found out it was blood poisoning. Shortly after that she passed away.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?