Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: Becca, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My husband received a power port and percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube for chemotherapy on 3/7 and started chemotherapy and radiation on 3/19. On 4/2 he was in the hospital with high fever, heart rate and blood pressure. After 3 days he was released as non-specific infection. He did chemotherapy every Wednesday 5 times and each time I reported to the lead doctor he would run a high fever and all of the same symptoms as above and was told "it can"t be from the Cisplatin, the dose is not high enough", but they never tried to find out what the problem was. On 4/23 (18 days later) he was back in with 104 fever and 158 blood pressure, his heart rate was out of control and a parotid gland under his left ear was huge, the size of a lime they said. He was finally released on 4/30 with bacteremia, sepsis! We did home IV antibiotic infusions 24/7 for 22 days. Since my husband was not healing we saw OSU Infectious Disease, who were dumbfounded that the port was still in place, it should have been pulled out they claimed! In a couple of days our surgeon pulled the port claiming he was never advised by the hospital he works with. Now we have just started with IV infusions for 1/2 hour every day at the hospital with a stronger antibiotic, post port removal. We were told by the hospital, "someone broke protocol accessing his port" as the culprit for this, but right now everyone is pointing fingers since they all failed to recognize this in early April or did not send him home then with antibiotics.

Comment from: swedelady13, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Three years ago my husband went into the hospital with severe abdominal pain, had a gastroscopy 3 days later, had vertigo while in the hospital, went back in next night with numbness on right side, sent home, back in 24 hours later, and told he had a mild stroke. Less than 24 hours later he was admitted to ICU with dropped blood pressure and high pulse. Back to room. Next day he was out of his head and in restraints. Next night he was back into ICU with pneumonia. He was sedated and treated for 32 hours and was back to the room. He was dead 3 days later from sepsis. Blood culture found staph and gram negative bacteria in blood after he passed. Don"t know where sepsis came from, didn"t think to do autopsy. It is very confusing. He was diagnosed with bile gastritis first trip in, then sensory stroke right side, then pneumonia, then sepsis. Infection did not show up on blood work in emergency room all 3 times he went in.

Comment from: corie, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 11

My severe sepsis was caused by a ruptured appendix and a small bowel obstruction. I was on life support for two weeks with kidney and lung failure. I was hospitalized for a total of 7 weeks, heavy duty antibiotics and six blood transfusions. My blood type is O RH- (rare), I was given less than 50% chance to live, my prognosis was grave. Fifteen inches of my small intestine was removed, but I have no colostomy bag, I had an abscess on my pelvis which was drained by a catheter inserted through my hip. I am now walking around with a partially collapsed lung, but will make a full recovery. I"ve been told I am a miracle. This I already know!

Comment from: Country girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

On returning from a European cruise I thought that I was suffering from a chronic migraine headache and a chill in my back after travelling on a very cold Emirates flight from Dubai to New Zealand. Five days after arriving home the prognosis was septicemia resulting in immediate IV drips of antibiotics. The blood count broke all records for the area in which I live. Thank goodness for a doctor's quick diagnosis. I had earlier jammed my finger in a door resulting in slight damage to the cuticle of my middle finger. No real cut! Hard to believe that was all it took for the virus to enter my body with almost lethal results.

Comment from: kins, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My 84 year old mother who has bowel and secondary liver cancer became suddenly very ill and was taken to the hospital and we were told she had pneumonia septicemia, pleurisy and some renal failure. Her blood pressure dropped to 66/43. We were told she would not recover and would not be taken to ICU or resuscitated due to her poor condition. Somehow she is still here 5 days later medically fit for now, sitting up in bed putting her make-up on. Medics are baffled and don't know how she made it.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?