Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: swedelady13, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Three years ago my husband went into the hospital with severe abdominal pain, had a gastroscopy 3 days later, had vertigo while in the hospital, went back in next night with numbness on right side, sent home, back in 24 hours later, and told he had a mild stroke. Less than 24 hours later he was admitted to ICU with dropped blood pressure and high pulse. Back to room. Next day he was out of his head and in restraints. Next night he was back into ICU with pneumonia. He was sedated and treated for 32 hours and was back to the room. He was dead 3 days later from sepsis. Blood culture found staph and gram negative bacteria in blood after he passed. Don"t know where sepsis came from, didn"t think to do autopsy. It is very confusing. He was diagnosed with bile gastritis first trip in, then sensory stroke right side, then pneumonia, then sepsis. Infection did not show up on blood work in emergency room all 3 times he went in.

Comment from: corie, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 11

My severe sepsis was caused by a ruptured appendix and a small bowel obstruction. I was on life support for two weeks with kidney and lung failure. I was hospitalized for a total of 7 weeks, heavy duty antibiotics and six blood transfusions. My blood type is O RH- (rare), I was given less than 50% chance to live, my prognosis was grave. Fifteen inches of my small intestine was removed, but I have no colostomy bag, I had an abscess on my pelvis which was drained by a catheter inserted through my hip. I am now walking around with a partially collapsed lung, but will make a full recovery. I"ve been told I am a miracle. This I already know!

Comment from: Country girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

On returning from a European cruise I thought that I was suffering from a chronic migraine headache and a chill in my back after travelling on a very cold Emirates flight from Dubai to New Zealand. Five days after arriving home the prognosis was septicemia resulting in immediate IV drips of antibiotics. The blood count broke all records for the area in which I live. Thank goodness for a doctor's quick diagnosis. I had earlier jammed my finger in a door resulting in slight damage to the cuticle of my middle finger. No real cut! Hard to believe that was all it took for the virus to enter my body with almost lethal results.

Comment from: kins, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My 84 year old mother who has bowel and secondary liver cancer became suddenly very ill and was taken to the hospital and we were told she had pneumonia septicemia, pleurisy and some renal failure. Her blood pressure dropped to 66/43. We were told she would not recover and would not be taken to ICU or resuscitated due to her poor condition. Somehow she is still here 5 days later medically fit for now, sitting up in bed putting her make-up on. Medics are baffled and don't know how she made it.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I suddenly got severe back pain and eventually could not move my legs and could not be touched anywhere. I had to be taken around piggyback that was very painful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Luckily I got treated within 24 hours. The sepsis was in my lungs and it went into my spine. I went through hell for 8 weeks and even longer. I had to wear a body brace and a full neck brace and after I went through 8 weeks of IV antibiotics and 6 months of oral antibiotics I did make a good recovery. I do have bone loss in my spine but very lucky for my recovery.

Comment from: azlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on April 25, a few days later I could not urinate, gynecologist said no to a regular catheter so I went to my urologist. He said the same thing, no to regular catheter, they gave me self-catheters. I used those 4 days then they stopped working. I would try to urinate for hours at night and would pass out on the toilet (5 times), so I went to the hospital and finally I got relief from a regular catheter. But the next day about 6 I couldn't breathe so had to go to the hospital by ambulance. In the emergency room they took forever, I was ready to leave, but they told me I was being admitted for pneumonia. When I got to my room my blood pressure crashed, I was unconscious, and woke up middle of next day in the ICU, with the doctor putting an IV in my throat. I was in the ICU for 3 days on 6 bags of stuff going into my neck, I was in a regular room 2 days. I had to have 12 units of blood, and I guess I swelled up like a balloon; didn't look like myself. I'm so thankful that I went to the hospital, I wouldn't have made it through the night.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?