Patient Comments: Sepsis - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood poisoning.

Comment from: azlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on April 25, a few days later I could not urinate, gynecologist said no to a regular catheter so I went to my urologist. He said the same thing, no to regular catheter, they gave me self-catheters. I used those 4 days then they stopped working. I would try to urinate for hours at night and would pass out on the toilet (5 times), so I went to the hospital and finally I got relief from a regular catheter. But the next day about 6 I couldn't breathe so had to go to the hospital by ambulance. In the emergency room they took forever, I was ready to leave, but they told me I was being admitted for pneumonia. When I got to my room my blood pressure crashed, I was unconscious, and woke up middle of next day in the ICU, with the doctor putting an IV in my throat. I was in the ICU for 3 days on 6 bags of stuff going into my neck, I was in a regular room 2 days. I had to have 12 units of blood, and I guess I swelled up like a balloon; didn't look like myself. I'm so thankful that I went to the hospital, I wouldn't have made it through the night.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I suddenly got severe back pain and eventually could not move my legs and could not be touched anywhere. I had to be taken around piggyback that was very painful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Luckily I got treated within 24 hours. The sepsis was in my lungs and it went into my spine. I went through hell for 8 weeks and even longer. I had to wear a body brace and a full neck brace and after I went through 8 weeks of IV antibiotics and 6 months of oral antibiotics I did make a good recovery. I do have bone loss in my spine but very lucky for my recovery.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 44 year old female, I had been feeling unwell for weeks and having funny attacks. On one morning I woke up with extreme pain in my abdomen followed by diarrhea and vomiting and struggling to breathe. I passed out the first time and woke up with enough time to tell my husband to ring an ambulance after that I remember nothing. I had a full on seizure losing control of all my bodily functions. The ambulance arrived including the Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance(MICA) unit where they spent the next 90 minutes trying to get me to regain consciousness as my blood pressure was so low. I spent the next 4 days in hospital.

Comment from: Jeanie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had been taking Enbrel since 2006. It worked great for my RA and then it was not working. It was giving me sinus infections and RA nodules. One nodule on my right wrist was very painful. On Mother's Day 2013, I went to the ER in an ambulance. I don't remember anything for the first two days in ICU. I had sepsis from the arthritis nodule. Doctors saved my life! I almost died within 12 hours, and it was very scary for my family. I was on a four-week daily IV dose of antibiotics and then three weeks of oral antibiotics. Sepsis is a very painful infection, and I am very lucky I survived! And I no longer take Enbrel.

Comment from: Jon, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My girlfriend has septicemia and has had it for 4 months. She has had blood transfusions and antibiotics her blood read is 7 and they are talking about bone marrow transplant; she has loads of antibiotics.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had leg ulcers, a constant whistling in my head, hot sweats, and weight loss, and I got no sleep. I was always tired.

Sepsis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a sepsis infection?
Sepsis - Causes Question: What caused your sepsis?
Sepsis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sepsis?