Patient Comments: Senior Sex - Experience

Question:Have you found your sex drive has decreased as you have aged?

Comment from: Jeannie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I was taking Imuran for my Crohn's disease and I had pancreatitis and that pill damaged my pancreas caused my stool to change color.

Comment from: 81 and loveing it., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I'm 81 years old and my wife is 75. We enjoy sex about once a week primarily in our large bath tub. I've had erectile dysfunction for some time and have taken pills to get an erection. I just ordered a penis pump and trust it will help the situation.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Yes my sex drive has decreased as I have aged because of chronic pain following back surgery 4 years ago that never improves.

Comment from: None, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Yes, my sex drive has decreased as I have aged. Especially dealing with chronic back pain that is unresolvable.

Comment from: Warrior, 65-74 Male Published: December 02

I am 71 years old and will be 72 in February. I have never had a problem health-wise, I take no prescription medicine, no flu shots, nothing. I am 5'10" and weigh 200 pounds with 8 percent body fat and have abs and no love handles. I only have a problem with erections when I am with my wife who is 69, petite at 5'4" and 100 pounds and beautiful. Forty-five years of marriage later, I have a hard time getting the full-long lasting erections I was used to. Now with my 45-year-old girlfriend it too was a problem, once, and then for the last few years -- without taking anything other than some nitric tablets -- it has been rock and roll, once I get going, but it takes a little time.

Comment from: PAredneck, 55-64 Female Published: July 21

I was stung by a wasp on the calf. It hurt more than any bee sting I've ever had. It swelled up my entire calf. It still hurts 3 days later like a deep bruise.

Comment from: Horny, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I'm 68 and have had a low libido problem for years. I thought it was a normal part of aging, but my wife harped at me to go to the doctor. Eventually I went and found out through blood tests that I had the testosterone of an 85 year old man. He prescribed a cream for me to rub on my legs and within a few days I noticed I was waking up with an erection every day and thinking about sex like I did when I was in my 20's. I haven't had such good sex in years. I think every guy that has this problem to ask for a testosterone blood test.

Comment from: smileybaby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

As I aged especially after retiring I have found my sex drive has increased. I am 67 and these last 2 years have been hard for me. I for the first time got a vibrator and use it regularly. I should tell you my husband died of cancer 2 yrs ago and for about 3 years, we didn't have any type of sexual relationship. I have even purchased a book called "Sex after 60. It opened my eyes and I think I talk more easily about what I want in a sexual relationship. I am more open now than before.

Comment from: Sergio, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

My drive has not decreased, but my wife is no longer interested. We haven't had intercourse for five years (ugh!). I'm 74 – so I masturbate three or more times per week. I'm not as aroused as I was at 17, but close. I love being aroused and wish I was wanted sexually.

Comment from: JJ., 55-64 Male Published: February 01

I'm 63 years old now and have never had a problem with sex. I've been married for 43 years and for the first few years we had sex almost every day. My wife loves sex, but we are down to about 3 or 4 times a week now. We spend a lot more time at it now as we are both retired. I love to work the g spot on my wife and she usually soaks me down before we have sex. We go to the sex store a couple times a year just to find something new. What would we do without sex. We love it.

Senior Sex - Emotions Question: In what ways have emotions affected your sex life as you've aged?
Senior Sex - Improvement Question: How have you and/or your partner worked to improve your sex life as you age?
Senior Sex - Safe Sex Question: If you're a sexually active senior, how do you practice safe sex?