Patient Comments: Senior Sex - Experience

Question:Have you found your sex drive has decreased as you have aged?

Comment from: Warrior, 65-74 Male Published: December 02

I am 71 years old and will be 72 in February. I have never had a problem health-wise, I take no prescription medicine, no flu shots, nothing. I am 5'10" and weigh 200 pounds with 8 percent body fat and have abs and no love handles. I only have a problem with erections when I am with my wife who is 69, petite at 5'4" and 100 pounds and beautiful. Forty-five years of marriage later, I have a hard time getting the full-long lasting erections I was used to. Now with my 45-year-old girlfriend it too was a problem, once, and then for the last few years -- without taking anything other than some nitric tablets -- it has been rock and roll, once I get going, but it takes a little time.

Comment from: Horny, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I'm 68 and have had a low libido problem for years. I thought it was a normal part of aging, but my wife harped at me to go to the doctor. Eventually I went and found out through blood tests that I had the testosterone of an 85 year old man. He prescribed a cream for me to rub on my legs and within a few days I noticed I was waking up with an erection every day and thinking about sex like I did when I was in my 20's. I haven't had such good sex in years. I think every guy that has this problem to ask for a testosterone blood test.

Comment from: smileybaby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

As I aged especially after retiring I have found my sex drive has increased. I am 67 and these last 2 years have been hard for me. I for the first time got a vibrator and use it regularly. I should tell you my husband died of cancer 2 yrs ago and for about 3 years, we didn't have any type of sexual relationship. I have even purchased a book called "Sex after 60. It opened my eyes and I think I talk more easily about what I want in a sexual relationship. I am more open now than before.

Comment from: Sergio, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

My drive has not decreased, but my wife is no longer interested. We haven't had intercourse for five years (ugh!). I'm 74 – so I masturbate three or more times per week. I'm not as aroused as I was at 17, but close. I love being aroused and wish I was wanted sexually.

Comment from: JJ., 55-64 Male Published: February 01

I'm 63 years old now and have never had a problem with sex. I've been married for 43 years and for the first few years we had sex almost every day. My wife loves sex, but we are down to about 3 or 4 times a week now. We spend a lot more time at it now as we are both retired. I love to work the g spot on my wife and she usually soaks me down before we have sex. We go to the sex store a couple times a year just to find something new. What would we do without sex. We love it.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

No, but my husband's sure has. Between diabetes and an operation to make the prostrate smaller, he is not interested. Period. The doctor doesn't seem to care. This is frustrating, as you can imagine.

Comment from: hillybigbertha, 75 or over Female Published: May 03

My sex drive decreased when I was about 70 years old. I have now reached the age of 90 and find that although I don't want sex as often, I still enjoy it. My lover of 54 years and I have sex about two or three times each month. But sometimes late at night when I'm alone I have sex with myself. I'm amazed at the wonder of it.

Comment from: girl again, 55-64 Female Published: December 02

I am 58, postmenopausal and widowed 3 years ago. My marriage of 33 years was not made in heaven, and I had no desire for sex with my late husband. Now 3 years later, I have met a man, who just at the thought of him causes me to feel like I have the hormones of a teenager. I do not understand this new me, and am concerned that I seem to throw all caution to the wind when we are together. Of course he loves it, as do I.

Comment from: Mekong69, 55-64 Male Published: September 15

Actually, I still have the sex drive and desire as I did when I was in my 20's, & 30's. I'm currently 61 and engage in sex twice a week, with wife of 40 years. We're very active and enjoy each other as it was the first time...

Senior Sex - Emotions Question: In what ways have emotions affected your sex life as you've aged?
Senior Sex - Improvement Question: How have you and/or your partner worked to improve your sex life as you age?
Senior Sex - Safe Sex Question: If you're a sexually active senior, how do you practice safe sex?