Patient Comments: Senior Sex - Experience

Question:Have you found your sex drive has decreased as you have aged?

Comment from: raldaman, 75 or over Male Published: April 19

The short answer is yes to a certain extent. The main problem, however, is inability to achieve and maintain a full erection.

Comment from: kricket, 55-64 Female Published: September 02

Quite the opposite-- a widow for 2 years, and then I found the most remarkable man. We plan entire afternoons based around a movie and bedroom time. Sex is marvelous, I had no idea what my body would do, and the time is not rushed or frantic. The relaxation is wonderful, no stress of pregnancy, or kids barging in. I can't believe it-- 5 hours? Never before had I ever experienced this bliss.

Comment from: auroe, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

Au contraire! My sex drive has skyrocketed. My body goes places I never knew it would - or could. Letting go of old thinking was key. Finding a man with the right chemistry also was fundamental. Chemistry matters. Wish we understood more about how chemistry works, how attraction is sustained.

Comment from: Bee, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 23

No, but the ability to act on it sure has declined.

Comment from: fantasea, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I had an active sex drive when I was younger. 5 times a week. Now I have no real desire. I also have ED but feel its more loss of desire than ED.

Comment from: Lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My sex drive has increased as I have aged. I attribute that to having more energy and time since I retired.

Comment from: realow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

My wife and I have just been apart too much and we haven't had sex in a few years, but both are anxious to now. My anxieties and nervousness and fear of failure kill my sex drive. I think if I just had some good strong medicine we could get through this.

Comment from: outlawdan59, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I've noticed that my late 30's I started having problems. I ended up with diabetes which my doctor stated I had been diabetic for quite a while. Also, I have high blood pressure. I'm 59 years young not married. I hope to meet someone that wouldn't have a problem with it.

Comment from: class22jem, 65-74 Female Published: November 15

In my upper sixties, I have sex a bit less often than when I was younger, but I do enjoy it more each time. The slowing down of the whole process makes it more pleasurable for me. It's no longer a rushed process but a low savoring of feelings and sensations. It's great when you're with somebody you love.

Senior Sex - Emotions Question: In what ways have emotions affected your sex life as you've aged?
Senior Sex - Improvement Question: How have you and/or your partner worked to improve your sex life as you age?
Senior Sex - Safe Sex Question: If you're a sexually active senior, how do you practice safe sex?