- Epilepsy Slideshow
- Brain Disorders Image Collection
- Take the Epilepsy (Seizure Disorder) Quiz
- Patient Comments: Seizures - Experience With Absence Seizures
- Patient Comments: Seizures - Type of Partial Seizure
- Find a local Neurologist in your town
Focal seizures, the third kind of partial seizure is one that begins as a focal seizure and evolves into a generalized convulsive ("grand-mal") seizure. Most patients with partial seizures have simple partial, complex partial and secondarily generalized seizures. In about two-thirds of patients with partial epilepsy, seizures can be controlled with medications. Partial seizures that cannot be treated with medications can often be treated surgically.
Reviewed by The Cleveland Clinic Neuroscience Center.
Edited by Edited by Joseph R Carcione, MBA, DO on February 01, 2007
Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2004