Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: leonie c, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been diagnosed with epilepsy for at least ten years after hard years of having absence seizure/petit mal heaps a day and tonic-clonic /grand mal seizures up to ten per day at least. Had medications that clashed with each other and brain surgery to remove a benign tumor which I don't think helped. My bones and grades at school deteriorated pretty much. I got put on 200mg topiramate/Topamax and 2000mg levitiracetam/Keppra per day. It has decreased the seizures a lot, I am not scared as much to go out or be home alone without my partner. But it has messed up my life a lot, sad but true. At least finally it's died down from literally ten a day over the past 5 years to a few a month roughly. I'm going out more and even getting back into studying for my certificate of cookery. I want to be a chef. Good luck everyone, hope you find the right medication because after at least ten years plus brain surgery removing benign tumor in my brain I have.

Comment from: Gail, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have a seizure disorder that started when I was 32, I'm now 70. I took medicines for over 20 years and then got a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) in 1995. I had grand mal seizures for many years and this procedure has worked perfectly for me. I don't have anything anymore. I still take Zonegran at night, but no other medications. I'm on my 3rd VNS since the battery runs down. It changed my life. I can't say enough good things about it.

Comment from: chrissy stitches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I've had grand mal seizures since I was 4yrs.old. I've been put on Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote, and so forth throughout my teenage years and none did much. "Tegretol" only increased my seizures to having it every 5 minutes. That took alot out of me. I'm now 35yrs.old and been taking Lamictal 300mg 2x daily at night for about 2yrs. Since i'm planning on having a baby, he suggested I take 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night. I told him that I was going to have seizures but he didn't listen to me. I've had atleast 4 seizures since. "NOT GOOD." I went back to my Neurologist only to tell him, "I told you". I laughed about it. I am now back to 300mg. all at night and now I'm ok. I have an app. with him again and am going to ask him about this KEPPRA thing I've heard so much good news about....For all of you, pay good attention to your seizures. Write it down, date and time and how your day is going so that you can find out what may trigger it, then report it to your doctor....Thanks for hearing me out.

Comment from: stubby, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

When i was first diagnosed with epilepsy when i was 6 months old they told my parents i wasn't going to mature past the age of 6 years old, and that i wasn't going to be able to walk, talk, or even write and read. now i'm in highschool taking all acedemic coarses with an IEP. this is because i kept being given different med since i was a kid and finally i was goven divalproex and it's helped a bunch!

Comment from: celestemoi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had 2 grand mall seizures (one at home in bed unaware of) drove myself to hospital unaware) about five years ago. Spent one week in the hospital intubated due to complications with asthma. Neourologist placed me on 100mg Lamictal twice a day and Carbatrol 300mg twice a day.Hospital had started Dilantin. Caused too many problem s My seizures now uncontrolled by lamictal carbatrol and Neuronten. Seizures are partial vision , /balance, Speech.unable to work.

Comment from: Dian, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was born with hydrocephalus. I have had a new shunt put in me ten different times. Every time water/fluid would build up and the shunt would plug and then malfunction. I would always have a grand mal seizure, now I just have petit mal seizures. I am now on prescription drug Keppra XR 500 mg.

Comment from: NYCgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a grand mal seizure 4 months ago in Walmart! I am on Neurontin, however, I had another seizure Friday. I have no family history of seizures! I am worried.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.