Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: workshigginst, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had my first seizure. To make a long story short, I have Seizure Disorder. It took the doctors 4 years in which we experiment with other drugs until we finally tried Keppa. After I get the dosage where it needed to be my seizures are finally under control. I went 4 years without a single seizure, but with me stress is the cause for my break through seizures.

Comment from: mother, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My daughter is newly diagnosed with epilepsy; on May 13 she had her first seizure. Then another in May 22 and nothing for almost 2 months, but unfortunately she started aging on July 27 and since that day she is having every day. She is on Keppra XR. 2000 and today started on Trileptal. She is in the hospital and her pediatrician the bad thing can not get the appointment with the neurologist. I hope this week we can get one. I was desperate, but I was reading your comments and I know my baby is not alone.

Comment from: Worried, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

Today I stood by as a young boy, working with me had a seizure! I don't know much about the disorder. I stayed calm, put a cushion underneath his head and calmly told him to calm down. He's on medication, but I think it might not be enough, because he has had 3 seizures within the last week! Is that normal? He has them very badly too.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I recently had a grand mal/tonic clonic seizure in December my first one started out taking Dilantin 300mg QHS. Then I began to get nauseated and confused it lasted about 3-4 minutes now taking Keppra XR 1000mg QD and Dilantin 300mg QHS to see how its going to work out, so far it seems to be working, but I am very weak and I just started waking up with dull headaches. I refuse to give up!

Comment from: seizegurl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm in my teens, and was diagnosed at 13 on vacation. I was put on Lamictal and still take it. 100mg twice a day. It works really good for me. I haven't had a seizure since. I have my drivers permit, and I'm looking forward to going into neurology. I have good grades, and I don't feel handicapped in the least. The best treatment is not to let it hold you back.

Comment from: avalanche, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

The most important part of epileptic patients is that they require a peaceful sleep. In addition to sleep other important aspect is regular exercise for fitness and balanced diet.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My daughter has been on Depakote, Lamictal and Keppra. She has achieved the best control on 4000mg of Keppra. It is a lot I know, but it works for her.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.