Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: Eva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

It is very important to remember you medication everyday and on time or else you can cause the brainwaves to start in another area, which can cause the next shock again, and you will have another seizure!

Comment from: Suresh, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 19

I am a 26-year-old female and had my first seizure at 13. It was early in the morning while I was in bed. I did not take any medicine. The next seizure came after five years. I did not use any medicine. The third seizure came after three years when I started my post-graduate engineering studies. Then last month, I had my fourth seizure. I have just been to a neurologist and had a long meeting. He suggested Lamotrigine. As I am a chemical engineer, I immediately noticed the very bad side effect of this medicine.

Comment from: Forrelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I took dilantin and phenobarb to treat my epilepsy.

Comment from: Katie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I got diagnosed 6 years ago when I was 21. I was sleeping and woke up to my mom screaming at me to wake up. I don't remember what happened, but I bit my tongue really bad, and had a really bad headache. I went to the doctor the next day; they ran some tests and told me I have Epilepsy. When I have a seizure I get really tired and have a horrible headache and want to sleep all day. I have tried many different types of meds but nothing seems to help. I have switched doctors because I felt the doctor I had was not doing anything to help me. I feel the doctor I have now is doing better and is trying to figure out my meds. My old doctor had me on 7 different meds, and this new doctor dropped me to 3 so I feel better.

Comment from: topkoolbig, 45-54 Male Published: September 01

I have had seizures or epilepsy since I was 16 years old. I can feel mine coming on most of the time. I set myself in a safe place. I have tried depakote, dilantin, phenobarbital, gabapentin; some others that I have forgot. It is a complicated disease meaning what might be good for you might not be good for me, but I will tell from my stand point, it starts with just looking up or anything in general. It has to do with muscle control, there are a lot of drugs out there that doctors will push on you just to see what the effect is. My choice is valium.

Comment from: Sephy G, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have epilepsy and was diagnosed when I have epilepsy and was diagnosed when I was 6 months old. I am currently taking divalproex and my neurologist said that can have negative side effects on my ovaries and the problem is that I have been on every medication out there except one that is only in the testing stages right now.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My husband has been having seizures on and off for many years. We have not yet found the right medication to take care of these seizures. He has seen doctor on top of doctor and still no help with them. We just don't know what else to do. He is right now on 1600 mgs. of different kinds of medications. I think it is to much because it still isn't doing any good every time he goes back to the doctor they want to keep increasing or put him on another medicine. It's really getting to be a scary time to have to try to figure what else can be done. to do...

Comment from: Refilwe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

My sister has been on the medication for over 12 years now she has twitches even if she is drinking her medication 12 hourly and is having seizures quick and often, she has a very huge appetite and if she gets hungry she starts to twitch.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.