Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: 05trish05, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Oh man, where do I begin? I'm now 22 years old, but I discovered I had epilepsy during 8th grade when I woke up not knowing who I was in the hospital on the first day of spring break, and that pretty much explains my years during high school. I took Keppra, Depekote, Topamax and a bunch of other drugs and never once did any work. It wasn't till senior year of high school during brain surgery to remove my temporal lobe that it was discovered that the cause of the seizures was hidden tumors! After the stroke and spending a month in the mental rehab center is when I recovered how HAPPY you should be for what you have! I'm now majoring in psycho and want to express how happy you should be for what you have! From being home schooled to not being able to walk up stairs! I'm SOOOO thankful for not having seizures anymore! I am taking Keppra for the rest of my life, although the side effects aren't even close to what I've had to experience in the past! I'm thankful for all of this!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been having seizures for a few years now. I went to a doctor and they told me they thought it was from anxiety and that there was nothing else wrong with me, but they have been wrong sometimes I have them even when I am not stressed out. I had one the other day in a library and woke up in an ambulance. I didn't know what happened and had pretty much forgotten all the things that had happened. I had done earlier in the day it is becoming a big burden because it is painful and it is stopping me from doing a lot of the things that I need to do to keep my life on track, but either doctors won't see me for different reasons, or I don't have the money to see them the hospital put me on dilantin, but if it works. I don't know if I will be able to continue to take it if I don't see a doctor.

Comment from: stare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been living with seizures since the age nine. Almost everyone has seizures in my family. My father, uncle, sister and maybe others. I take Tegretol. I still have seizures but not as much.

Comment from: cowgirl31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I think my seizures have gotten a lot better since my teeth have gotten out and that I have gotten my dentures. I am doing a whole lot better since. I have had seizures since I was born and I hope things get better for you all like it did me.

Comment from: Sudhakar Puraanam, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I had two episodes of generalized tonic-clonic seizure (GTCS). One was at the office and I lost consciousness and was unable to get up immediately. The doctor suggested a drug called Levipil. Since taking it, I haven't had a seizure.

Comment from: Eva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

It is very important to remember you medication everyday and on time or else you can cause the brainwaves to start in another area, which can cause the next shock again, and you will have another seizure!

Comment from: Suresh, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 19

I am a 26-year-old female and had my first seizure at 13. It was early in the morning while I was in bed. I did not take any medicine. The next seizure came after five years. I did not use any medicine. The third seizure came after three years when I started my post-graduate engineering studies. Then last month, I had my fourth seizure. I have just been to a neurologist and had a long meeting. He suggested Lamotrigine. As I am a chemical engineer, I immediately noticed the very bad side effect of this medicine.

Comment from: Forrelli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I took dilantin and phenobarb to treat my epilepsy.

Comment from: Katie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I got diagnosed 6 years ago when I was 21. I was sleeping and woke up to my mom screaming at me to wake up. I don't remember what happened, but I bit my tongue really bad, and had a really bad headache. I went to the doctor the next day; they ran some tests and told me I have Epilepsy. When I have a seizure I get really tired and have a horrible headache and want to sleep all day. I have tried many different types of meds but nothing seems to help. I have switched doctors because I felt the doctor I had was not doing anything to help me. I feel the doctor I have now is doing better and is trying to figure out my meds. My old doctor had me on 7 different meds, and this new doctor dropped me to 3 so I feel better.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.