Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I was hit in the head with scaffolding two years ago and suffered 6 subsequent seizures over a period of about a year. The doctor started me on Lamictal but I felt completely drunk on it and stopped immediately. I have been taking Topamax 200mg twice daily for about a year. I haven't had a seizure since Thanksgiving. So I feel this medication is working for me, as I would still like to have another child someday. I just know I need plenty of rest each night and must avoid bust and loud crowds. At first I thought I was handed a death sentence but I am managing well and the torn tissue in my brain in healing. I have read all your stories and can empathize with each of you. No one really understands unless you've been there. It's incredibly frightening to wake up and not know where you are or what happened or where your kids are etc. etc. We will make it through this. We all have our cross to bear. I wish you all the luck in the world and of your medication isn't working for your ask your doctor about Topamax. Good luck to all of you and feel free to send me a message.

Comment from: i don't believe it, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have just been told I am having seizures; my kind of seizures is so different from all the others I have heard about. Three years ago I went to my doctor with dizziness, weakness, and unstable walking at times. I had an MRI done, they found nothing, so I was put on Prozac which I refused to take, after three years I went to another doctor who did an EEG right after one of those dizzy spells and found out that I was having seizures. He told me I had them at first on the left side of my front lob now it is on both sides. He started me out on Dilantin 300mg, but it was making me very sick, so now I'm starting on divalproex er 500mg. If anyone out there is having dizzy spells, make your doctor listen to you, have an EEG done within 24hours, it will show if you are having seizures.

Comment from: 05trish05, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Oh man, where do I begin? I'm now 22 years old, but I discovered I had epilepsy during 8th grade when I woke up not knowing who I was in the hospital on the first day of spring break, and that pretty much explains my years during high school. I took Keppra, Depekote, Topamax and a bunch of other drugs and never once did any work. It wasn't till senior year of high school during brain surgery to remove my temporal lobe that it was discovered that the cause of the seizures was hidden tumors! After the stroke and spending a month in the mental rehab center is when I recovered how HAPPY you should be for what you have! I'm now majoring in psycho and want to express how happy you should be for what you have! From being home schooled to not being able to walk up stairs! I'm SOOOO thankful for not having seizures anymore! I am taking Keppra for the rest of my life, although the side effects aren't even close to what I've had to experience in the past! I'm thankful for all of this!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been having seizures for a few years now. I went to a doctor and they told me they thought it was from anxiety and that there was nothing else wrong with me, but they have been wrong sometimes I have them even when I am not stressed out. I had one the other day in a library and woke up in an ambulance. I didn't know what happened and had pretty much forgotten all the things that had happened. I had done earlier in the day it is becoming a big burden because it is painful and it is stopping me from doing a lot of the things that I need to do to keep my life on track, but either doctors won't see me for different reasons, or I don't have the money to see them the hospital put me on dilantin, but if it works. I don't know if I will be able to continue to take it if I don't see a doctor.

Comment from: cowgirl31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I think my seizures have gotten a lot better since my teeth have gotten out and that I have gotten my dentures. I am doing a whole lot better since. I have had seizures since I was born and I hope things get better for you all like it did me.

Comment from: Sudhakar Puraanam, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I had two episodes of generalized tonic-clonic seizure (GTCS). One was at the office and I lost consciousness and was unable to get up immediately. The doctor suggested a drug called Levipil. Since taking it, I haven't had a seizure.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.