Patient Comments: Seizure (Epilepsy) - Effective Treatments

Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

Comment from: stare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been living with seizures since the age nine. Almost everyone has seizures in my family. My father, uncle, sister and maybe others. I take Tegretol. I still have seizures but not as much.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have epilepsy, and I was put on Keppra when my husband and I decided to have a baby. I am currently taking 1,000 mg twice a day and have been doing great. I had no problems while I was carrying my daughter, and she has shown no signs of having any side effects from me taking the Keppra.

Comment from: kbent94, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

When I was 6 years old I had my first seizure, at the age of 6 and then again at the age of 7 I had brain surgery. I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy until I was 12 years old and began to have seizures again. Medication never seemed to work and obviously neither did brain surgery. To help control my epilepsy I sleep normal hours and try not to stress when times get rough. Weirdly that is all I need and I now have seizures once every other year.

Comment from: JITHKV, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I am aged 38 years and having epilepsy for more than 15 years. As per the prescription by my doctor I am taking Tegretol 400,Lobazam 10 , Torleva 250 in the morning and Tegretol400, Lobazam20,Toreleva500 in the evening. i am having the disease , some type of disorder maximum for One minute period at any time. When the medicine is not taken it happens. The doctor prescribes the same medicines now for more than 2 years and also told me not to take brain surgery.

Comment from: lolo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was in a motor vehicle accident when I was 9 years old and I didn't start having seizures until I was 33. At that time I had a baby and she was about 6 weeks and I had a gran-mal. I was on a few different medicines depakote along with topamax and I had tried dilantin and it gave me a rash. I am on Lamictal 200mgs and still on topamax 25mgs. I opted to have a partial hysterectomy because I felt that I was having seizures once a month every month around my menstrual period. I have to say it did make a difference but I do still have occasional seizures and dizzy spells that wipe me out. I realize seizures are a part of my life and I am also scared of them.

Comment from: Tracy, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My son had his first seizure at 21 years old. His seizures are horrible; they last around 15 minutes, and he has a postictal period anywhere from 1-10 or so hours. During these postictal periods, he arches his back and moans or cries or sometimes screams. He also tends to hurt himself. He had 40 stitches in both his hands after a seizure this last summer. He is having seizures, what seems to us, in a pattern. He will have them almost to the day every other month. The doctors say he isn't a "text book" epileptic. They don't know how to medicate him. He has been on Keppra for almost three years. They just decided to finally try another med last week and he will be starting Dilantin. He had a terrible allergic reaction to Depakote. We are really hoping that the Dilantin will give him a break for at least longer than a month.

Comment from: Missy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 5 and used epilim for most m life until I decided to hav a baby and was switched to Keppra which worked great, my baby thank god is healthy and no signs of health problems. I'm going through a lot of depression and I'm trying to help myself positively but I feel alone and worthless.

Comment from: gustav777, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

i am a 45y/o male. i started having seizures about 20 years ago. i now take keppra and depakote er,these control my seizures better than any thing else i've taken. we don't know the cause of my seizures. i want to tell all of you first if you are taking dylantin and feel weak,or have red rash talk to your doctor now! i must get my,sleep limit my computer time,cannot miss,or mistime my meds,and i learned on this website about large crowds. twice i,ve had petit mals at a casino...no more crowds for me thank you whoever you were.

Seizure (Epilepsy) - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with epilepsy (seizure disorder).
Seizure (Epilepsy) - Lifestyle Question: In what ways has epilepsy affected your lifestyle? Discuss the challenges.