Patient Comments: Sedimentation Rate - Testing

Question:What were the results of your sedimentation rate test?

Comment from: Worried Mum, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 06

My 17 year old has been in pain now for three months. Each time she is tested her ESR is rising, first result was 60 then 85 and now 97. She can barely walk, just getting up from a chair is difficult for her. I look at her walking and she looks like an 80 year old woman not the 17 year old she should be! I wonder if it is possible her body is fighting a tumor or something as sinister.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

My sedimentation rate was 47 and my primary care physician told me to take ibuprofen each day for the pain in my joints. He was very negligent as I got directed by my orthopedic surgeon to a psoriatic arthritis specialist who put me on Enbrel. I have been on it for 6 months. My latest blood test showed a sedimentation rate of 7! My primary care physician should have known better.

Comment from: MSBYOO, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My husband (81) has had valley fever for 2 years. He was not getting any better so we sought out a 2nd opinion. The new doctor ordered a sedimentation rate on my husband. Results came back last week at sedimentation rate of 123. In April, 2012, it was a 2.

Comment from: horseman3, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed with PMR (polymyalgia rheumatic) in 2010. My ESR was 77 at the time. That does not seem high but I had the test done in the afternoon when movement was more manageable. Initially I was prescribed 40 mg of prednisone. I am currently on 5mg of prednisone as maintenance and hovering at an ESR of 11-12 after three years. Movement is still a little difficult especially after manual labor or exercise. I would love to get off the prednisone but I don't think it is going to happen.

Comment from: mh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My sedimentation rate was 15 mm/hour, reactive protein 0.648 mg/dl, mcv 78.8, WBC 10.8 and RBC 5.08. I am on cancer treatment for breast cancer, only 4 months of Arimidex.

Comment from: ShellsH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I'm 28 years old and have had problems with ovarian cyst since I was 12. I had my first major surgery when I was 12 and had a softball size cyst on my right ovary. The right ovary and cyst had to be removed. When I was 20 I had a cyst removed from my left ovary. When I was 24 I had another cyst removed on my left ovary. With all my surgeries I had to be cut open. Just two weeks ago I had another cyst on my left ovary bad had it removed laparoscopically. They had to remove my ovary also. So now I am 28 with no ovaries and will be going through menopause.

Comment from: itsahemi72, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

My Westergren sedimentation rate is 77, their standard range from testing place is 0-15mm. C- reactive protein level is 7.8, again their standard is 0.0-0.6 mg/dl.

Comment from: Christina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My sedimentation rate was 28 and I am told the values fluctuate depending on your age. I am 52 and am having terrible joint pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My ESR results came back 60. I have been having diarrhea severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, plus lack of appetite.C

Sedimentation Test - Indications Question: Did you receive a sedimentation test? What were the results and how did it affect your diagnosis?