Patient Comments: Sedimentation Rate - Testing

Question:What were the results of your sedimentation rate test?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My ESR was 6mm/hour, C-reactive protein 0.1, ANA cascade 0.61, RA quantitative 15. I have chronic joint and lower back pain.

Comment from: Worried Mum, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 06

My 17 year old has been in pain now for three months. Each time she is tested her ESR is rising, first result was 60 then 85 and now 97. She can barely walk, just getting up from a chair is difficult for her. I look at her walking and she looks like an 80 year old woman not the 17 year old she should be! I wonder if it is possible her body is fighting a tumor or something as sinister.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

My sedimentation rate was 47 and my primary care physician told me to take ibuprofen each day for the pain in my joints. He was very negligent as I got directed by my orthopedic surgeon to a psoriatic arthritis specialist who put me on Enbrel. I have been on it for 6 months. My latest blood test showed a sedimentation rate of 7! My primary care physician should have known better.

Comment from: MSBYOO, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My husband (81) has had valley fever for 2 years. He was not getting any better so we sought out a 2nd opinion. The new doctor ordered a sedimentation rate on my husband. Results came back last week at sedimentation rate of 123. In April, 2012, it was a 2.

Comment from: horseman3, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed with PMR (polymyalgia rheumatic) in 2010. My ESR was 77 at the time. That does not seem high but I had the test done in the afternoon when movement was more manageable. Initially I was prescribed 40 mg of prednisone. I am currently on 5mg of prednisone as maintenance and hovering at an ESR of 11-12 after three years. Movement is still a little difficult especially after manual labor or exercise. I would love to get off the prednisone but I don't think it is going to happen.

Comment from: Sexy senior, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I recently had gastrectomy surgery back in August of 2015. I now have multiple problems, I think because of adhesions, with no appetite, getting nausea after eating, and I lost major weight at 40 pounds since July. I have no desire to eat because it is going to make me sick no matter the food that I eat.

Comment from: Chapis, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 22

My sedimentation rate by modified Westergren results is 63H, ANA Screen, IFA results positive, ANA pattern results speckled, ANA Titer results 1:40 H.

Comment from: ldelia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

The result of my sedimentation rate test was 42. I am 38 year old female that has been experiencing extreme levels of head pain, not headaches, but feeling of swelling in brain.

Comment from: PBR, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I received my sedimentation rate result and it shows 18/37. I am a female and I am 37 years old. My knee and my heels have pain.

Comment from: mh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My sedimentation rate was 15 mm/hour, reactive protein 0.648 mg/dl, mcv 78.8, WBC 10.8 and RBC 5.08. I am on cancer treatment for breast cancer, only 4 months of Arimidex.

Sedimentation Test - Indications Question: Did you receive a sedimentation test? What were the results and how did it affect your diagnosis?