Patient Comments: Seborrheic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your seborrheic dermatitis?

Comment from: Ddp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have had seborrheic dermatitis for as long as I can remember. When young, my grandmother would sit me on a chair and rub melted butter all over my scalp. Then hours later use a fine tooth comb to try to remove thick scaly patches. I have used every year every product on the market. No one in my family prior to me suffered from this, but I have two sons who now suffer from it. My oldest son does his own thing, but for my youngest son and me, we have found that triamcinolone cream works best. It also seems that the sun helps, but getting over heated does not.

Comment from: kram, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I think I have seborrheic dermatitis based on the symptoms that I have. It is all over my face, nostrils, behind the ears, chest, armpit, back and there are small patches on my neck. I had this for maybe 12 years now, and ruined my life, my high school and college days. I tried everything, you name it, steroids, changed diet, exposure to the sun, and I just could not get rid of this. I read about this guy who happens to cure his seborrheic dermatitis with apple cider vinegar, but this is not available in my country so, I came up with some kind of vinegar. It is a raw unfiltered coconut vinegar fermented for months. On my first day I diluted it with water enough not to sting or feels burn when washed it to my face. The next day it is like a miracle, the redness and flaking started to disappear. I believe mine is severe because it is in every part of my body that is oily especially on my face. The 2nd day I didn't dilute it with water anymore. I put it directly using cotton balls. At first it burns a lot and makes my face super red, but I let an electric fan blow on my face so the burning fades away fast now. I did it before going to bed and left it on all night and did same thing the next day and also I drank 3 tablespoon of coconut vinegar in one glass of water. I just mix it and drink morning and before going to sleep. I am now on 5th day and my face looks much healthier and smooth. I didn't even change my diet, but I tried to eat healthy as much as possible; no eating too much sugary foods. Give it a try guys, maybe it will end your suffering just like it did to me.

Comment from: felici, Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I cleared up my seborrheic dermatitis by testing my skin pH. I found my skin was quite alkaline, so acids like glycolic, apple cider vinegar, and fresh lemon juice helped clear things up quite nicely (as long as I use them daily). Another thing is reducing sugar consumption. I've noticed that the rashes get really bad right around the holidays, when I'm eating lots of sweets and drinking alcohol. Once I pull back on the sugar and carbs, the eruptions die back dramatically.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

The best thing I've tried so far has been sea buckthorn seed oil for my seborrheic dermatitis. It keeps all the rashes at bay.

Comment from: islandgirl305, Female (Patient) Published: October 19

A few things have worked very well for my seborrheic dermatitis; Sebulex shampoo (2 percent sulfur and 2 percent salicylic acid), and also Malaseb flush, a liquid that I squirt on the top of my scalp about 10 minutes before I shower. It kills the yeast (miconazole) and adding tea tree oil to coconut oil helps (pure tea tree is too strong, irritates the scalp), while I work out in the yard for an hour or so. Yes, these first two are vet products, my dad was a vet, but guess what, he's been giving me these for various problems since I was a toddler; vet products. Same stuff people need, sulfur and salicylic acid, but in 1 location and cheaper than products marketed for people. Tea tree oil is also something that I add to Head and Shoulders shampoo in a small USD 1 travel bottle so that I can make it even more powerful. Also, at night I add some lemon juice to water in a shot glass (pure lemon would be too strong I think), pour it on my head and go to sleep. Fungus/yeast (Malassezia/Pityrosporum) cannot live in an acidic environment. I have also read on here that some people found relief with Arm and Hammer with water (alkaline) so I guess any extreme in pH would kill the fungus that is the problem. I hope any of this information is helpful to you!

Seborrheic Dermatitis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe your seborrheic dermatitis signs and symptoms.
Seborrheic Dermatitis - Complications Question: If you have seborrheic dermatitis, have there been any complications? If so, please discuss.