Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Treatments

Were you treated for prostatic hyperplasia? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black square:

Is BPH always treated?

No. Treatment of BPH is usually reserved for men with significant symptoms. Watchful waiting with medical monitoring once a year is appropriate for most men with BPH.

Return to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Comment from: Jack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I am a first time patient with BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). Medicine prescribed is Cipro 500 mg taken one tablet every 12 hours. Now after 4 tablets (2 days) there is no change in difficult urination. I wonder if I am asking too much in 48 hours.

Comment from: laurakim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My husband and I took a trip down to Panama, and, while stepping into a large wooden dugout canoe, I slipped and fell hard. It happened so fast that I'm not really sure what way my right foot went, but I do know that it was the wrong way. I heard the pop, and was concerned about my knee, as I had recently had a right knee replacement. Oddly, I had no ankle pain at all, it was totally numb. As soon as I tried to get up, I realized that my foot was flopping around like it wasn't attached. I reached down and forced my ankle bone to go back in place (still no pain) and then instructed the people who were with us how to make a splint out of the Mae West life jacket I had been wearing. This worked very well to keep my ankle stabilized for the 2 hour drive back to civilization. Thirty hours later I was in the emergency room in my home town. All this occurred on 2/12/16. Today is 5/5/16, and I just got my walking cast off 2 days ago. I still have 4 weeks of physical therapy to go, and then it's all up to me to keep going. I know it's still going to be a while before I can walk normally again. What I can't believe is that through the whole ordeal, especially before I had surgery, there was no pain. My foot stayed numb during the ordeal of flying back to the states. I am thankful for that.