Fatigue - Experience

Please describe your experience with fatigue.

Fatigue Facts

• Fatigue (either physical, mental or both) is a symptom that may be difficult for the patient to describe and words like lethargic, exhausted and tired may be used.
  • Taking a careful and complete history is the key to help making the underlying diagnosis of the cause for the symptom of fatigue. However, in about a third of patients the cause is not found and the diagnosis is not known.
  • There are numerous causes of fatigue symptoms. Examples of some treatable causes of fatigue include anemia, diabetes, thyroid disease, heart disease, COPD and sleep disorders (Table).
  • Long lasting complaints of fatigue do not equate to chronic fatigue syndrome. Specific criteria as set by the CDC need to be met to make that particular diagnosis.
Return to Fatigue

Comment from: Gotclass2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have been fatigued sense 2006. I could barely walk to the car, and falling asleep at my desk. I am aching all over and not hungry and have extreme dry mouth. Turns out I have lupus, I am anemic, and dehydrated.

Comment from: Kenairiverbandit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I work as a roustabout in the oil and gas industry and many times find myself not taking breaks with the rest of the crew every 3 hours. That is a great time to rehydrate and or get some vitamins and minerals back into the body that were used up during the working period. Last weekend I didn't know if I was having a stroke or a heart attack or allergic reaction to something I ate. I woke my boss and the operations crew up early to get me a chopper ride right to the hospital. I was literally scared that I was going to die or wake up in the hospital not being able to speak or move one side of my body. I got to the hospital and after running the tests on my EKG, blood tests etc., the doctor tells me that the only thing he can find wrong was a low potassium level of 3.3. I felt all the symptoms that are listed in this website. We are all afforded the opportunity to eat right and take reasonable breaks. I am not one to visit the doctor unless something happens hence I don't go in for any once a year health exams. I am going to get annual checkups now and eat much better. I would suggest anybody with similar concerns be diligent in not letting their health slip. We guys don't need doctors until something happens. It may be too late when it does happen so get checked out once or more times, even if you think it is nothing.