Fatigue - Experience

Please describe your experience with fatigue.

Please select the white circle:

Fatigue Facts

• Fatigue (either physical, mental or both) is a symptom that may be difficult for the patient to describe and words like lethargic, exhausted and tired may be used.
  • Taking a careful and complete history is the key to help making the underlying diagnosis of the cause for the symptom of fatigue. However, in about a third of patients the cause is not found and the diagnosis is not known.
  • There are numerous causes of fatigue symptoms. Examples of some treatable causes of fatigue include anemia, diabetes, thyroid disease, heart disease, COPD and sleep disorders (Table).
  • Long lasting complaints of fatigue do not equate to chronic fatigue syndrome. Specific criteria as set by the CDC need to be met to make that particular diagnosis.
Return to Fatigue

Comment from: Fatigued me, Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Fatigue is something I have been struggling with for about five years now. There are bouts of excessive low energy, cloudy head and no libido. I am in my early thirties, I have been to the physician to find out what may be the issue, have had blood work several times, and no unusual results. It is frustrating, it is very hard to get through the lowest periods, and it sadly affects my children and husband. Life is busy and stressful but I'm not convinced that's all the issue, my body goes through periods of extreme aching and extreme muscle fatigue! At times my bones hurt from the very core of them.

Comment from: Gotclass2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have been fatigued sense 2006. I could barely walk to the car, and falling asleep at my desk. I am aching all over and not hungry and have extreme dry mouth. Turns out I have lupus, I am anemic, and dehydrated.