Fatigue - Experience

Please describe your experience with fatigue.

Fatigue Facts

• Fatigue (either physical, mental or both) is a symptom that may be difficult for the patient to describe and words like lethargic, exhausted and tired may be used.
  • Taking a careful and complete history is the key to help making the underlying diagnosis of the cause for the symptom of fatigue. However, in about a third of patients the cause is not found and the diagnosis is not known.
  • There are numerous causes of fatigue symptoms. Examples of some treatable causes of fatigue include anemia, diabetes, thyroid disease, heart disease, COPD and sleep disorders (Table).
  • Long lasting complaints of fatigue do not equate to chronic fatigue syndrome. Specific criteria as set by the CDC need to be met to make that particular diagnosis.
Return to Fatigue

Comment from: ddstarrtx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had fatigue for a year, plus a low grade fever and zero energy. It took a year but I found I had toxoplasmosis gondii, the disease from changing a litter box. I was shocked. They said it was in my head. I demanded all tests from A-Z and found it. Thirty days of Levaquin and life started to return to normal. You just never know, I got it from a cat at home or volunteering at my local animal shelter.