Still's Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Still's disease?

What are symptoms and signs of Still's disease?

Still's disease usually begins with systemic (body-wide) symptoms. Extreme fatigue can accompany waves of high fevers that rise daily to 102 F (39 C) or even higher and rapidly return to normal levels or below. Fever spikes often occur at approximately the same time every day. A faint salmon-colored skin rash characteristically comes and goes and does not itch.

Poor appetite, nausea, and weight loss are common. There is also commonly swelling of the lymph glands, enlargement of the spleen and liver, and sore throat. Some patients develop inflammation around the heart (pericarditis) and lungs (pleuritis), with occasional fluid accumulation around heart (pericardial effusion) and lungs (pleural effusion). Arthritis, with joint swelling, often occurs after rash and fevers have been present for some time. Although the arthritis may initially be overlooked because of the impressive nature of the systemic symptoms, everyone with Still's disease eventually develops joint pain and swelling. This usually involves many joints (polyarticular arthritis). Any joint can be affected, although there are preferential patterns of joint involvement in Still's disease.

Return to Still's Disease

Comment from: sherrybaker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

It all started with an ear ache and Chantix to stop smoking. I then had a rash that I thought was hives. Then at work I could not walk then it was on Still's disease!

Comment from: Felicia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Last year, I started seeing a salmon colored rash while at the state fair. I thought it was from being around all the animals, grass, dust, etc. But then my joints (ankles and wrist) started hurting. I thought it was from all of the walking. Then a few months later in October, it hit hard. My throat was extremely sore, muscles so sore I couldn't move, swollen wrist and knees, vomiting, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, and kept a high fever. These symptoms lasted for the whole month of October. I went to the doctor several times during this period. I was finally hospitalized the last week of October and diagnosed with Still's disease. I was treated with steroids and Ibuprofen. I also find that eating healthy and exercising every day helps .This disease can be very stressful and aggravating to deal with. I had to drop out of respiratory school because I was so sick and missed so much that I couldn't catch up. But you have to take it one day at a time and not over work yourself. Hope this helps!

Stay Informed!