Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts are never noticed and resolve without women ever realizing that they are there. When a cyst causes symptoms, pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common one. The pain can be caused from:

• rupture of the cyst,
  • rapid growth and stretching,
  • bleeding into the cyst, or
  • twisting of the cyst around its blood supply (known as torsion).

If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include abdominal fullness or bloating, indigestion, feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety), urinary urgency, feeling an urge to defecate or having difficult bowel movements, or pain with sexual intercourse.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: Queen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

Some of you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). My daughter had no period before the age of 18. Doctor told her she was lucky, moron! The child went on line and did research and said mom I think I may have PCOS. We went to a doctor again, had her do blood work, etc., and sure enough it was PCOS.

Comment from: Rose W, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Just today I had severe abdominal pain on the left side and went to the emergency room. They ordered blood tests and urine sample before finally ordering a CT scan. From there the doctor found quite a large cyst in my left ovary and prescribed me some pain killers. He only told me to arrange for ultrasound in 4 to 6 weeks' time to see if it is still there as it could disappear on its own. If it is still there then they will need to do surgery to remove it. I only noticed that I felt so bloated in the last week but didn't experience any nausea at all. The pain was so unbearable!