Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts are never noticed and resolve without women ever realizing that they are there. When a cyst causes symptoms, pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common one. The pain can be caused from:

• rupture of the cyst,
  • rapid growth and stretching,
  • bleeding into the cyst, or
  • twisting of the cyst around its blood supply (known as torsion).

If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include abdominal fullness or bloating, indigestion, feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety), urinary urgency, feeling an urge to defecate or having difficult bowel movements, or pain with sexual intercourse.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: ECRia90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 26 years old and have been diagnosed with ovarian cysts since I was 15. I have had severe cases of pain every so often, only two that sent me to the hospital or the doctor. I have had one rupture (which was when I was 15 when it was first discovered). In the past month I have had pain every so often, nausea, I am bloated, and I have moments of not being hungry. I have been told tender breasts can be associated with ovarian cysts but only a specific kind. I am going to see a doctor soon about it, but I am hoping to be pregnant, not having a bad cysts.

Comment from: keebler1012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I recently had an ovarian cyst rupture. They ran a CT scan because they originally thought it was appendicitis. Well, the cyst ruptured and there was fluid in my abdomen. He said that that was what was causing my stomach pain. But now I am having severe leg pain. It is hurting close to where it ruptured and on down into my leg, sometimes sharp. I don't know if this is related. But the cyst ruptured 12 days ago and they still saw fluid 3 days ago. The pain is aggravating. Makes me not want to walk.