Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the white circle:

What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts are never noticed and resolve without women ever realizing that they are there. When a cyst causes symptoms, pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common one. The pain can be caused from:

• rupture of the cyst,
  • rapid growth and stretching,
  • bleeding into the cyst, or
  • twisting of the cyst around its blood supply (known as torsion).

If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include abdominal fullness or bloating, indigestion, feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety), urinary urgency, feeling an urge to defecate or having difficult bowel movements, or pain with sexual intercourse.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: SuzyQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Last year I went to the emergency room for severe abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding. They told me it was a gall stone and sent me home with some pain medications which I could not take. After suffering through the weekend, I went to see my obstetrician and he told me an ovarian cyst had ruptured and there were several more on each ovary, one quite large and a few small ones. He was not able to tell me how to get rid of them other than surgery and to wait it out and see what happens. Yeast infections and bladder infections have plagued me for as long as I can remember and both were beginning to bother me at the time. While in the store picking up yet another package of vaginal antifungal cream, a woman suggested probiotics. I opted not to buy the cream, went to a health food store and picked up some really good probiotics. After about 3 days of taking them daily the bladder infection burn was negligible and the yeast infection was abating. If I stop taking them the infections are back within two weeks. Another bonus is that the ovarian cysts are gone. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but then maybe not. My obstetrician laughs at me and tells me there is no connection, but taking probiotics will continue to remain part of my daily routine anyway. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

About 2 weeks back I had abdominal pain mostly towards my left side of lower abdomen. I could stay no longer so I went to emergency and underwent an ultrasound. It showed left ovarian hemorrhagic cyst of 4cms and they told me to do tumor markers blood test; reports awaited.

Stay Informed!