Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts are never noticed and resolve without women ever realizing that they are there. When a cyst causes symptoms, pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common one. The pain can be caused from:

• rupture of the cyst,
  • rapid growth and stretching,
  • bleeding into the cyst, or
  • twisting of the cyst around its blood supply (known as torsion).

If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include abdominal fullness or bloating, indigestion, feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety), urinary urgency, feeling an urge to defecate or having difficult bowel movements, or pain with sexual intercourse.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: Becca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I started hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and the doctor was so aggressive with the estrogen, which caused painful cysts on my only ovary. I noticed being full after eating a few bites, not being able to lay on my tummy, nausea all the time, having to pee all the time, then finally to throwing up and not being able to eat. I went to my regular doctor and then to an obstetrician/gynecologist, and had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultra sound. I was in pain for over 2 months. I am off the HRT and starting just now to be able to function. I felt sorry for my husband, I could not do anything, clean, fix dinner, nothing. Ladies, if you feel odd, and your body is telling you something, listen and do not get on hormones!

Comment from: KodaBubbles, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have lower left abdominal pain and it came on all of a sudden three days ago (10/14/15 today). At first it was a nagging pain and slowly it just got worse. It honestly felt like a muscle strain and since I didn't have any medical insurance, I didn't want to waste everyone's time with going, but today, it just got worse. I was almost doubled over and I was crying. If it hadn't been for that pain today, I wouldn't have gone to the doctor. I told her that I have had this pain in my lower side for about three days and I have also had vaginal bleeding for a month. She asked me if I had any lower back pain and I had some. She seemed really worried about it and did a urinalysis to determine whether or not I was pregnant because it could have possibly been an ectopic pregnancy. The pregnancy test came back negative and she ordered a transvaginal ultrasound. Later that day, the doctor called and said I had cysts on both ovaries, the left side being the worst and that is the side that was hurting me. She also said that she saw some fluid next to the cyst and that she believes that one of them had ruptured. She just wants to monitor me right now and if I have any more pain like this again, I need to go straight to the emergency room. She also prescribed me some pain medicine that I have to get tomorrow. I would have gotten it today, but she was just worried about what was going on.