Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

What symptoms are caused by ovarian cysts?

Most ovarian cysts are never noticed and resolve without women ever realizing that they are there. When a cyst causes symptoms, pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common one. The pain can be caused from:

• rupture of the cyst,
  • rapid growth and stretching,
  • bleeding into the cyst, or
  • twisting of the cyst around its blood supply (known as torsion).

If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include abdominal fullness or bloating, indigestion, feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety), urinary urgency, feeling an urge to defecate or having difficult bowel movements, or pain with sexual intercourse.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: alantrika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

About 2 weeks back I had abdominal pain mostly towards my left side of lower abdomen. I could stay no longer so I went to emergency and underwent an ultrasound. It showed left ovarian hemorrhagic cyst of 4cms and they told me to do tumor markers blood test; reports awaited.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with my first cyst when I was 20. It was so painful I had to go to the emergency room. After the pain went away it was several years before I had another one. I was around 25 and was in so much pain I couldn"t even sit. I went to the emergency room and found out it was a double cyst. Now I"m 30, my tubes are tied and it seems like I get them every couple of months. It"s very painful and sometimes nothing helps.