Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

What are coccydynia symptoms and signs?

Pain and local tenderness at the tailbone are the major symptoms of coccydynia. This can lead to difficulty sitting or leaning against the buttocks. Along with the pain with sitting, there is typically exquisite tenderness at the tailbone area.

Return to Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)

Comment from: lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had pain in my coccyx and/or hips and/or lower back for years. The only trauma I can think of was falling down a flight of wooden stairs many years ago. I have had x-rays, scans, etc., and nothing was found. The coccydynia pain will include spasms down my leg. I can't sit for longer than half hour before having to lie on me side, walking is almost impossible and I can't stand for long. It gets me up several time every single night. Doctors are no help, and pain relief medications are no help. Nothing helps as I have never had a clear diagnosis of anything. It is so depressing. I've lived with it for nearly 20 years.

Comment from: Wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I've been on narcotics for 29 years now, 17 years of methadone and the rest morphine. I was cut off my methadone once because they thought I was faking my pain. After 6 1/2 months without sleep from drug withdrawal and a near death experience, I was then put on morphine. My coccydynia still prevents me from doing things I enjoy. I've had 9 epidural injections and unknown cortisone injections. This has started making everything hurt. It is hard to urinate, sex is painful, and constipation is a constant problem. I've had my prostate checked, MRIs, CTs and no finding the root of the problem. I'm past ready to give up.