Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

What are coccydynia symptoms and signs?

Pain and local tenderness at the tailbone are the major symptoms of coccydynia. This can lead to difficulty sitting or leaning against the buttocks. Along with the pain with sitting, there is typically exquisite tenderness at the tailbone area.

Return to Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.

Comment from: arnicareworksforme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was trimming trees three years ago and fell backwards/sideways off a 10 ft. ladder. I had full x-rays, no fractures. Now I have off-and-on dull ache limited to tailbone. The bone is actually aching. Suggested by a Whole Foods clerk, I began using Arnicare cream, (or gel, either works well) rubbing into bone whenever it bothers me. I get good relief from coccydynia, it works with your body heat. I was a skeptic, now keep it in my purse, bedside, never without it. It is affordable and no side effects, just relief. You can just keep applying it with no toxicity. I think my fall knocked my tailbone slightly sideways. I am 5'4', 125 lb., but I was heavily bundled, it was December. I stay off ladders now!