Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Please select the black square:

What are coccydynia symptoms and signs?

Pain and local tenderness at the tailbone are the major symptoms of coccydynia. This can lead to difficulty sitting or leaning against the buttocks. Along with the pain with sitting, there is typically exquisite tenderness at the tailbone area.

Return to Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)

Comment from: female patient, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

After surgery for scoliosis - fusing L 2 thru L 5 - not only did it not at all help the really bad left SI (sacroiliac) joint pain but I now also have extreme coccyx pain. Especially along the left side and very bottom. My left leg is weak and I trip over things easily. I've tried physical therapy, cortisone and RFA (radiofrequency ablation) injections to no avail. My life has gone from being a really active person to virtually no activity at all.

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.