Hyperparathyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hyperparathyroidism?

Please select the white circle:

How is hyperparathyroidism treated?

Surgery to remove the enlarged gland (or glands) is the main treatment for the disorder and cures it in 95 percent of operations.

Calcimimetics are a new class of drug that turns off secretion of PTH. They have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of hyperparathyroidism secondary to kidney failure with dialysis, and primary hyperparathyroidism caused by parathyroid cancer. They have not been approved for primary hyperparathyroidism, but some physicians have begun prescribing calcimimetics for some patients with this condition. Patients can discuss this class of drug in more detail with their physicians.

Some patients who have mild disease may not need immediate treatment, according to panels convened by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2002. Patients who are symptom-free, whose blood calcium is only slightly elevated, and whose kidneys and bones are normal may wish to talk with their physicians about long-term monitoring. In the 2002 recommendation, periodic monitoring would consist of clinical evaluation, measurement of serum calcium levels, and bone mass measurement. If the patient and physician choose long-term follow-up, the patient should try to drink lots of water, get plenty of exercise, and avoid certain diuretics, such as the thiazides. Immobilization (inability to move) and gastrointestinal illness with vomiting or diarrhea can cause calcium levels to rise. Patients with hyperparathyroidism should seek medical attention if they find themselves immobilized, vomiting, or having diarrhea.

Return to Hyperparathyroidism

Comment from: Racegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have/had hyperparathyroidism disease, had blood work done, high calcium levels, and very high PTH levels. I had surgery for tumor (size of pecan) on lower left nodule. I am now so hot internally and now I am not, my bones hurt and now they do not, need to lose weight all in upper trunk area/breast - grew 4 sizes in one year. So far no additional medicine and I need to lose 50 lb. I had a good surgeon, neat incision and looking toward a good prognosis.

Comment from: donna, Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Three years ago I had 3 parathyroid glands removed. With 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week my PTH levels are normal and vitamin D is normal but the calcium is high at 11.8. I am on Sensipar 30 mg once a day for my hyperparathyroidism to see if this will lower calcium level. I do not want to have my remaining parathyroid gland removed. I have been on it for 3 weeks and no side effects. I had 24 hour test done and calcium levels rechecked and hoping my calcium level will be down when I see the doctor on 3/26/15.