Hyperhidrosis - Cause

What was the cause of your hyperhidrosis?

What is the cause of hyperhidrosis?

Although neurologic, metabolic, and other systemic diseases can sometimes cause excessive sweating, most cases occur in people who are otherwise healthy. Heat and emotions may trigger hyperhidrosis in some, but many who suffer from hyperhidrosis sweat nearly all the time, regardless of their mood or the weather.

Return to Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)

Comment from: Mum, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My daughter has been suffering from excessive sweating of the palms and feet since she was a baby. I remember when she first started to walk, she would leave little wet footprints on the timber floor! She is now 10, and it is really bothering her and seems to be getting worse. She struggles to do her school work as her hands are always wet and she struggles to hold onto the pencil. I have not been to the doctor with her yet, but am keen to hear any successful remedy stories!

Comment from: anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Excessive hand and feet sweating is hereditary for me. I remember my grandfather had sweaty hands, and my mother does, too. I've suffered from excessive hand and feet sweating for as long as I remember, and since about three years ago, I've noticed that my underarms were starting to sweat excessively as well. Every year the amount of sweating seems to be getting worse. Recently I'm starting to sweat on my scalp, face and neck. It is so bad that I have to shower and shampoo at least three times a day, and I can never use a blow dryer to dry my hair because by the time I've blown my hair for 10 minutes, I have to take a shower again from excessive head and facial sweating! The area in which the hyperhidrosis affects me seems to be enlarging yearly. It's so embarrassing and frustrating -- I hate this!