Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

What causes microscopic colitis?

The cause(s) of microscopic colitis is unknown. Some experts suspect that microscopic colitis is an autoimmune disorder similar to the autoimmune disorders that cause chronic ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

One study has implicated long term (longer than 6 months) use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) as a cause of microscopic colitis. Some individuals' diarrhea improves after stopping the NSAIDs. Serveral other drugs have also been incriminated as a cause of microscopic colitis. The most common are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as lansoprazole (Prevacid, Prevacid SoluTab), omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid), and esomeprazole (Nexium); the Statin simvastatin (Zocor); H2 blocker ranitidine (Zantac); SSRI sertraline Zoloft); and P2Y12 inhibitor ticlopidine (Tilcid).

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: Madelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I wonder if anyone else who takes metoprolol (beta blocker against high blood pressure) and is since diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I take this medicine since last December, in January diarrhea started and has severely increased since then. I sincerely believe there is a connection between both, have to convince my doctors yet.

Comment from: LuluJean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.