Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis?

Please select the white circle:

What causes microscopic colitis?

The cause(s) of microscopic colitis is unknown. Some experts suspect that microscopic colitis is an autoimmune disorder similar to the autoimmune disorders that cause chronic ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.

One study has implicated long term (longer than 6 months) use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) as a cause of microscopic colitis. Some individuals' diarrhea improves after stopping the NSAIDs. Serveral other drugs have also been incriminated as a cause of microscopic colitis. The most common are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as lansoprazole (Prevacid, Prevacid SoluTab), omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid), and esomeprazole (Nexium); the Statin simvastatin (Zocor); H2 blocker ranitidine (Zantac); SSRI sertraline Zoloft); and P2Y12 inhibitor ticlopidine (Tilcid).

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: beevee boston, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 70 year old female. Have had microscopic colitis since July 2013. I adjusted my diet, eliminated dairy for 6 months, and eliminated all artificial sweeteners having found these to be very troubling to this condition. I was treated with prescription NSAIDS for bursitis and the symptoms started within days of taking the prescription. No NSAIDS for me (including Aleve, Advil, and aspirin). I slowly reintroduced dairy and am able to tolerate. Imodium (1 to 4/day) works to calm occasional minor flare ups.

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) since early childhood. As a child I struggled with stomach aches, lots of gas, constipation, bloating, and after several days or weeks of that I finally exploded with diarrhea, which was extremely painful. It was diagnosed at age 19 as IBS, mucous colitis, spastic colon in 1964. I lived with it and had episodes with every event in my life from wedding day, honeymoon, pregnancy, surgeries, camping trips or trips of any kind. It evolved to frequent diarrhea and leaky gut until my gastroenterologist finally diagnosed me with collagenous colitis after doing biopsies. I finally had a name for this enemy but no reason that I should have it or a cure. Today, at 69, I watch my foods, know my triggers, avoid them and live a fairly healthy life. I take IVIG every month for raising my white cells which were very low and now feel much better. I can go from constipation to diarrhea depending on my diet but I"m in charge of that now.