Homocysteine - Elevated Levels

Do you or someone you know have homocystinuria and elevated homocysteine levels? Please describe your experience.

Please select the black square:

How common is hyperhomocysteinemia?

Mild hyperhomocysteinemia levels are common and seen in about 5% to 12% of the general population. In specific populations such as, alcoholics (due to poor vitamin intake) or patients with chronic kidney disease, this may be more common. The severe genetic form, homocystinuria, is rare (0.02%).

Return to Homocysteine (Elevated Homocysteine, Homocystinuria, Hyperhomocysteinemia)

Comment from: Wilson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

Niacin did raise my homocysteine levels so I stopped taking it. I lowered my homocysteine levels to normal by taking N-Acetylcysteine (600 mg twice a day) with methylfolate (B-9), P-5-P/pyridoxal-5-phosphate (the active form of B-6 pyridoxine).

Comment from: jollio, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I always had normal homocysteine levels up to age 76 but then I had non-ST heart attack preceded by couple of hours of rapid heat beat with atrial fibrillation. Then a month after the event it has remained elevated despite taking 1200 mg of folate a day, and it has been staying abnormally high for past six months, but my CRP is normal and I have excellent lipid profile 134 total cholesterol, 69 LDL, 60 HDL, and 29 triglycerides. I wonder if stroke is likely in the near future unless I get it down, or if it is just a fluke marker.