Homocysteine - Elevated Levels

Do you or someone you know have homocystinuria and elevated homocysteine levels? Please describe your experience.

How common is hyperhomocysteinemia?

Mild hyperhomocysteinemia levels are common and seen in about 5% to 12% of the general population. In specific populations such as, alcoholics (due to poor vitamin intake) or patients with chronic kidney disease, this may be more common. The severe genetic form, homocystinuria, is rare (0.02%).

Return to Homocysteine (Elevated Homocysteine, Homocystinuria, Hyperhomocysteinemia)

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My wife 53yr old when went to gynecologist for pain in left side of and which is on and often subsides with pain killers. At that moment was asked to get serum homocysteine and B6 found to have homocysteine of 18.3 mmol. She takes daily multivitamin supplement as well sprouts leafy vegetables regularly.

Comment from: Pathways, 45-54 Female Published: October 06

I'm a 47 year old female - always been slim (between 53-56kgs) and always had a healthy lifestyle. After feeling generally unwell for a number of years was diagnosed with hyperhomocysteinemia 3 years ago. I'd been back and forth to my GP for various blood tests to try to determine why my iron, folate, Vit B's and D etc etc, where always low. Supplements weren't helping. My folate levels were basically non-existent! My GP sent me off to a blood specialist when my blood results came back with elevated homocysteine levels. The specialist wanted to test for coeliac disease and when the blood results came back positive I was sent off to have an endoscopy which confirmed the disease. That was 3 years ago. With 3-4mths of being on a gluten free diet my levels were all on in increase, and with increasing folate levels, my homocysteine levels dropped. I was monitored for 12 months, and now just have an annual blood test to make sure everything is doing what it's supposed to. Gained a couple of kilos and stable at 60kgs- and I've never felt better!