Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

What is the treatment for hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Therapy for HFMD is directed toward symptomatic relief of fever and sore throat. Antibiotics are not indicated for this viral disease.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Charlene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I happened to have handled chilled plain yogurt with my hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease riddled left hand. The cold, thick yogurt coated my hand nicely and almost instantly soothed the stingy/itchy spots. I thought the effect was just due to the coolness of the yogurt, but the soothing effect lasted until I fell asleep (I rinsed the yogurt off after just a few minutes). The following morning, my left hand felt and looked way better than my right (which did not get slathered in yogurt). Getting more yogurt for my feet and right hand!

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!