Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Therapy for HFMD is directed toward symptomatic relief of fever and sore throat. Antibiotics are not indicated for this viral disease.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Sheetal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 9 month old baby acquired this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) and pediatrician advised to apply Lacto Calamine (LC) lotion over the itching area. It seems to be a virus. HFMD is probably a viral infection. It just lasted for 3 days and after application of LC lotion, and all dried up. Nothing to worry. I observed that it happened after a severe cold and cough attack. Probably it is to do with immunity.

Comment from: Desperately sick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am a 55 year old female and this is day 5 of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My symptoms began on Sunday with a nagging headache and nausea. Day 2 headache, nausea, and low grade fever. Day 3 headache was gone, but I had nausea, 101.4 degree fever and horrible sore throat (worse than strep). I went to the doctor had negative strep test and negative flu test. I tried to tell the doctor I had been exposed to HFMD. He put me on medicines for a sinus infection. Sore throat was almost unbearable. Day 4 I was fever free. Throat was better but that evening my hands started feeling like they were going to sleep. I had tingling and burning of hands/feet and red spots on hands/feet. Day 5 hands/feet continue to sting, and it is almost impossible to walk or grip things. The pain is excruciating! Thank goodness the sore throat is better! I will have to say I've had several illnesses, surgery, and injuries. HFMD is by far the absolute worst! I've been in isolation for 5 days (self-administered). If you contract it there isn't much that can be done except to drink plenty of fluids; warm liquids helped my throat, Tylenol or Advil for the pain. As far as the blisters nothing has helped I'm sorry to say. I'm just praying that these blisters will be better tomorrow.