Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Therapy for HFMD is directed toward symptomatic relief of fever and sore throat. Antibiotics are not indicated for this viral disease.

Return to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) symptoms started with what looked like athlete's Foot but at the same time there were spots on my chest. Two days earlier I had a nauseous feeling and had a mild fever however it went away the next day. Due to my itchy right foot I went to see a podiatrist and he first prescribed an anti-fungal cream for my feet, but after one day my feet and hands were extremely sore. I described some swelling in my feet to him and he thought it was an allergic reaction to the first cream. I got a second anti-fungal cream prescribed and my pharmacist was concerned as I described to her all my symptoms. She suggested what I had wasn't a local infection but perhaps systemic and because it was spreading quickly I should go see a doctor as soon as possible. As it turns out it was HFMD and my son had very mild symptoms of it recently but because it doesn't usually appear in adults I didn't make the connection. It is day 3 of the virus and although my hands are better, I can barely walk. I really hope it goes away soon!