Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for hand foot and mouth disease?

Therapy for HFM is directed toward symptomatic relief of fever and sore throat. Antibiotics are not indicated for this viral disease.

Return to Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Comment from: Uncertain mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I just took my 12 year old to the nurse practitioner (NP) today only to find out she has HFM and was told there was nothing they could do for her. She came home from school yesterday with bumps on her feet and on her hands this morning. She has had the sore throat, fever and headache already. The NP said to go ahead and send her back to school because the contagious time has probably already passed. As she sits at my bedside tonight crying because of her foot pain and itching, I have no clue what to do for her. We weren't informed of the pain and itching this also causes and I don't know what to do for my girl.

Comment from: Dchjones, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 2 1/2 year old daughter came down with HFM disease and ran a fever for 2 days, had loss of appetite, runny nose then the spots/rash appeared after the fever broke. She had it the worst around her mouth (none inside), then on her hands, heels of her feet, and diaper area. I got it as she was clearing up and didn't think I had the same thing. My symptoms were so severe. It started with intensely itchy hands that woke me up in the morning. By the end of that first day I started to develop the rash and a little tingling on my hands. I woke up that night at 1AM and was up for the rest of the night/day with the most intense burning/itching I've ever felt. I've had shingles and this was worse! It lasted the whole next day and night (yes, 2 nights of no sleep). Today is day 3 and the pain is gone but the bumps/rash are still on my hands, some developed on my feet, and also around my nose. I will say that once the bumps/rash "came out" the pain left. I alternated between a steroid skin cream, Benadryl, and Calamine. I took Advil and Benadryl. Nothing helped like ice did. Hold ice packs all day, soak your feet; wrap your hands at night if you have to (that's what I did). It's soothing and numbing and will draw the heat out. It's aggressive, extremely contagious, and the most miserable thing I've experienced to date.