Whiplash - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your whiplash?

What are the symptoms of whiplash?

Common symptoms related to whiplash may include:

• neck pain and stiffness,
  • headache,
  • shoulder pain and stiffness,
  • dizziness,
  • fatigue,
  • jaw pain (temporomandibular joint symptoms),
  • arm pain,
  • arm weakness,
  • visual disturbances,
  • ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and
  • back pain.

In a more severe and chronic case of "whiplash associated disorder" symptoms may include:

• depression,
  • anger,
  • frustration,
  • anxiety,
  • stress,
  • drug dependency,
  • post-traumatic stress syndrome,
  • sleep disturbance (insomnia),

Patients with whiplash injuries may enter into litigation and social isolation may occur as a result of their symptoms.

Return to Whiplash

Comment from: Just Me, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 21

I work at a mental health facility. A patient became angry and attacked me, hitting me on the top of my head. I have had shoulder stiffness; headaches; and pain in my neck, left arm, and shoulder. X-rays showed that I have degenerative disc disease. But I never had a problem until I was hit in the head and back. I feel my injuries aren't being treated properly. I've since started seeking the help from another doctor for a second opinion. My neck is stiff. I also have upper and lower back pain. I seem to run out of energy easily.

Comment from: Sorceror, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I was involved in a T bar collision after a driver failed to give way crossing a 3 lane main road. Initially I thought I was okay as I could move about without any pain. I was shaken and the body flooded with adrenaline that day and I later developed a bad headache. The following day my entire body was sore and stiff and I have had headaches ever since the accident. My neck is still sore and stiff. My back however has recovered faster than I initially thought it would. It has been 3 weeks since my accident, and I still get daily headaches. I am seeing a physiotherapist who says I suffered whiplash. I only thought whiplash occurred from rear-enders but that apparently is not so. Physiotherapy has helped my lower back recover quickly but has not been able to do much for my neck pain and headaches. The physiotherapist said that it is still a little too touchy for him to do a lot of work with the neck, but eventually he will be able to massages deeper into it. But it will take time.

Stay Informed!