Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Experience

Please describe your experience with alcoholism.

What differentiates alcohol abuse from alcoholism?

While both alcohol abuse and alcoholism involve engaging in maladaptive behaviors in the use of alcohol, abuse of this substance does not include the person having withdrawal symptoms or needing more and more amounts to achieve intoxication unless the person has developed alcoholism.

Return to Alcoholism

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My sister is an alcoholic. She ruins ever holiday I see her grown children in pain and looking at her with such disgust. Her grandchildren also make fun of her or cry at the ridiculous things she has to say or do. She also drinks at home alone and has had some major falls. Her appearance is horrible. She has aged overnight and lost so much weight. She has soiled herself at different times in public and she also talks about all the anxiety she feels, yet she won't admit to being an alcoholic.

Comment from: AmbitiousChad34, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a recovering alcoholic. I had bad alcoholism for years. One was too many and ten was not enough. After my second DUI (driving under influence) I wanted to finally stop the insanity. The hardest part for me to get over was the post-acute withdrawal syndrome PAWS (Drunk Dreams). If a person wants to quit, I feel the best they can do is attend Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings and perhaps talk to a doctor about getting a plan to keep a good focus. Perhaps with a temporary medication to ease the mind cravings and mood for alcohol. Get a good plan, stick to your guns and you"ll be a stronger and better person before you know it. It is very satisfying not only to beat this, but to feel physically and mentally well for a change.