Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Experience

Please describe your experience with alcoholism.

Please select the white circle:

What differentiates alcohol abuse from alcoholism?

While both alcohol abuse and alcoholism involve engaging in maladaptive behaviors in the use of alcohol, abuse of this substance does not include the person having withdrawal symptoms or needing more and more amounts to achieve intoxication unless the person has developed alcoholism.

Return to Alcoholism

Comment from: mortified, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I thought I had a urinary tract infection, and waited 2 days before I went to the doctor. Urination was extremely painful. I could hardly release more than a couple of drops. It hurt enough that I had to white-knuckle the counter top when I went. I went to the doctor, who did a dip stick test, showed blood and bacteria in the sample. I was put on an antibiotic. Within 3 days of using, I broke out in what looked like a diaper rash on my bottom, between the cheeks. I got a large blister on my inner upper thigh. I went back to the doctor and was put on a different antibiotic after another culture was done. Vaginal area was inflamed and swollen, it hurt when anything put pressure on the area. I finished medications as directed. I still had rash on my bottom which changed into hive like bumps that itched terribly. I went back to the doctor for a 3rd time, and was told it looked like I had more than one issue going. I was given an oral anti-viral prescription and topical cream for the rash/hives. Also, I had some blood drawn. Eleven days later I got a letter from the doctor stating results positive for recent outbreak of genital herpes (HV2). My husband and I have been extremely careful for the last 40 years. My luck ran out apparently. Right now things are swollen and itchy, this has been going on now for 15 days. I go back to the doctor on Friday for a follow up visit to discuss my options. I don't see any myself, HV2 is a virus, viruses mutate. Not likely a cure will be found, so will just have to deal with it. For your information, my husband acquired the virus when he was in his early 20s.

Comment from: AmbitiousChad34, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a recovering alcoholic. I had bad alcoholism for years. One was too many and ten was not enough. After my second DUI (driving under influence) I wanted to finally stop the insanity. The hardest part for me to get over was the post-acute withdrawal syndrome PAWS (Drunk Dreams). If a person wants to quit, I feel the best they can do is attend Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings and perhaps talk to a doctor about getting a plan to keep a good focus. Perhaps with a temporary medication to ease the mind cravings and mood for alcohol. Get a good plan, stick to your guns and you"ll be a stronger and better person before you know it. It is very satisfying not only to beat this, but to feel physically and mentally well for a change.