Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

What is sciatica?

Sciatica is pain in the lower extremity resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain of sciatica is typically felt from the low back (lumbar area) to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb. The pain of sciatica is sometimes referred to as sciatic nerve pain.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 07

I was suffering from sciatica as my doctor said a few day ago. I can't sit, stand, walk, or sleep due to pain in the calf of my left leg. But, by pain killer and rest now I have more than 80 percent relief, but sensation is still there and my doctor says to rest and rest for overall recovery.

Comment from: carolinaunc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had sciatica pain on left side, pain radiating down from hip to foot, numbness in foot. When I woke up in the morning I could barely walk. In October 2015 I had a detached retina surgery and was told by the doctor that I could only sleep on my right side (I'm a left side sleeper) while it was healing which was about 3 weeks. Lo and behold the sciatica gradually improved! Now I try to make myself sleep mostly on my right side with a pillow between my legs. I am now almost now pain free.