Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

What is sciatica?

Sciatica is pain in the lower extremity resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain of sciatica is typically felt from the low back (lumbar area) to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb. The pain of sciatica is sometimes referred to as sciatic nerve pain.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: Hurting so bad2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was hit from behind while driving my girlfriend's small car. I have been having loads of pain shooting down the back of my leg, a grabbing like pain affects me. It will grab me and throw me off balance from pain and nearly making me pass out. A doctor said I should have my back fused and he refused to do my back as I am over weight and once I lose that weight he would do it. Every time I lift too much weight, some times that is even as small as a bag of groceries or a gallon of milk, I feel the pain behind my knee which is caused by my sciatica nerve being pinched. I need to have something done, I can't be lying all the time. I am still young mentally, while physically I hurt like an old woman, not me at all.

Comment from: Sheraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I suffered with sciatica when I was about 29 years of age. The pain was unbearable. My job contributed mainly to this because I was constantly sitting and as a result I developed a problem in my lower back which led to sciatica. I was constantly at the doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatory medication such as diclofenac. People who don"t suffer from pain do not understand what a person suffering from sciatica goes through. I used to cry often because of the pain. Physiotherapy helped me greatly and constant massaging and heat fomentations also helped. People suffering with this ailment must understand that the pain doesn"t disappear overnight, it"s very drawn out but eventually it does go away.