Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Please select the black square:

What is sciatica?

Sciatica is pain in the lower extremity resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain of sciatica is typically felt from the low back (lumbar area) to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb. The pain of sciatica is sometimes referred to as sciatic nerve pain.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: Leslie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I developed spinal stenosis in December 2013 (now April 2016). No pain sitting or driving. Severe sciatica pain hit (7 to 8) after standing or walking. I had vertebrae L2 and L3 fused in August 2015. In last few months I can stand 5 to 8 minutes in the morning, 2 to 3 in the afternoon, and often only 40 seconds to 1 minute late in the evening. I carry a cane the opens into a seat, and still do grocery shopping and cooking but have to sit every few minutes as pain is excruciating, especially my left calf.

Comment from: big aggie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

In 1959 I fell rock climbing and had injury. I had no treatment, and experienced pain now and again. Being a nurse and heavy lifting wouldn't have helped. In 2013 physiotherapist suggested fracture of spine. In 2016 developed I developed back pain and sciatica. I had severe pain in back when lying flat for x-ray, less pain when lying on side, curled up in fetal position. My medication is Co-codamol, codeine and amitriptyline. Guess I'll have to live with it, and keep taking the tablets!