Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for chigger bites?

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective.

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief.

Return to Chiggers

Comment from: daytonplace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am from California and recently visited Miami. I came home with little red dots all over my feet and ankles and they soon turned into the most horrible itch I ever had. Can't sleep at night. I tried everything, so today I remembered that I take turmeric pills every day, so I mixed a little water with one of the pills and made a paste. Wow, instant relief and took the redness and swelling down within 2 minutes. I'm a believer if I ever get bit again by chiggers this is what I will use.

Comment from: Jelei, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I have lived in the country on a ranch my entire life, on a lake, with a creek, prime area for chiggers. I've had them more than you can imagine! Sounds strange but put a coating of nail polish on the affected area. Chiggers live under the skin and the nail polish suffocates and kills them by closing the pores, preventing any oxygen from getting to them. It works like a charm every time, it's all I ever use!