Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for chigger bites?

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective.

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief.

Return to Chiggers

Comment from: florida gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I swear by an Over The Counter medicine called Chigarid. It's like nail polish, with medicated stuff to prevent infection. I just got dozens of bites on an 11.5 mile hike in the woods, they got through my shoes and socks despite the DEET. Calamine lotion and cortisone cream didn't work for me, but Chigarid gave me instant relief. You have to reapply it a few times a day.

Comment from: Kende, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 18

I am very allergic to chigger bites. My remedy is to cover bite with clear fingernail polish, let it dry and then cover bite with a 50/50 mixture of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The oils stop the itching and begin to heal the bite. The oil mixture is fantastic for mosquito bites.