Menopause - Experience

Did you experience weight gain with menopause?

What is menopause?

Menopause is defined as the state of an absence of menstrual periods for 12 months. The menopausal transition starts with varying menstrual cycle length and ends with the final menstrual period. Perimenopause is a term sometimes used and means "the time around menopause." It is often used to refer to the menopausal transitional period. It is not officially a medical term, but is sometimes used to explain certain aspects of the menopause transition in lay terms. "postmenopausal" is a term used to as an adjective to refer to the time after menopause has occurred. For example, doctors may speak of a condition that occurs in "postmenopausal women." This refers to women who have already reached menopause.

Menopause is the time in a woman's life when the function of the ovaries ceases. The ovary (female gonad), is one of a pair of reproductive glands in women. They are located in the pelvis, one on each side of the uterus. Each ovary is about the size and shape of an almond. The ovaries produce eggs (ova) and female hormones such as estrogen. During each monthly menstrual cycle, an egg is released from one ovary. The egg travels from the ovary through a Fallopian tube to the uterus.

The ovaries are the main source of female hormones, which control the development of female body characteristics such as the breasts, body shape, and body hair. The hormones also regulate the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. Estrogens also protect the bone. Therefore, a woman can develop osteoporosis (thinning of bone) later in life when her ovaries do not produce adequate estrogen.

Perimenopause is different for each woman. Scientists are still trying to identify all the factors that initiate and influence this transition period.

Return to Menopause

Comment from: NWcorner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I started with hot flashes and night sweats at the age of 38. I am 48 and haven't had a period in five years. I still have night sweats and an occasional hot flash. I have gained 35 pounds in the last five years. I keep active and walk every day. I watch what I eat. I have tried many popular diets, and I still cannot lose weight. I was always a pear-shaped woman, but now my weight is all in my mid-section.

Comment from: peachy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Absolutely. 5 months after surgical menopause, I am about 20 pounds over my pre-hysterectomy weight, without altering my diet. Not easy. I have been back at the gym (3-4 times per week) for 1 month now and I don't think this will make a difference but I keep going because of health benefits.